How much tutoring ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum38

How much tutoring ?

Post by mum38 »

I was wondering if anyone could advice on how much tutoring is needed for the 11+ entrance test?

My daughter has 1 year to go before she sits her exam (VR & NVR). How much did you do to pass the 11+ test, I want to be realistic to reach a positive result but without putting to much pressure on my daughter.

Thank you. :D
Daogroupie

Re: How much tutoring ?

Post by Daogroupie »

We can't answer this until you tell us what school you are applying for and approx. how many apply for the places. If there are 1000 going for 100 places then you will need to spend a lot more time preparing. If there are 400 for 200 places then there will less work involved. Is your exam standard or MC? DG
mum38

Post by mum38 »

Hello DG!

Newstead Woods Sept 2014 test.

It offers 160 places in Year 7 and is heavily over-subscribed with around 785 applications in 2011.

Unsure what MC / standard means (sorry).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Standard means you write the answers on the paper. MC, Multiple Choice means you are given four or five boxes with the answers and you tick the box you think is the correct answer. MC is easier as the answer is actually there, you just have to work out the one that is right. From the figures you quote you have a lot of competition so I would recommend start some daily practice now. IPS do some great ten minute VR test papers that the forum shop sells. Just a few minutes each day will help steady progress. Then start adding some more time around Xmas. DG
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

Also depends what the primary school is doing. Some private schools do a lot of work in school, and most state schools do none. I would say most children do a lot of work now to get into a grammar school. Its not fair but its the way it is.

A huge amount go to a private tutor, and those who don't are probably being tutored at home. My daughter went to a state school and they did nothing to help them.

I sent her to a private tutor once a week for an hour and a half. She then did 3 papers a week as well as around an hour home work a week from the tutor. She did that for a year before the test. Then before the test she did 3 mocks, 1 a week till the exam. That was really tough!!
She also had her school home work to do on top of that. Also about 2 months before the test I went through all the papers she had done (its a good idea to keep them all) and looked to see if there were any patterns in the areas she was getting wrong. I then worked on those key area, I found that was really useful, and think that made a big difference to her getting in.

For some reason people can be quite cagey when you ask how much their children are working, perhaps every one is seen as competition!

I would say she did less work than quite a lot of children I know. My sister's girls went to a private school and they did lots of papers in school,s o she didn't need to do that at home. She tutored them herself and went over questions etc, I think she did about half an hour a day, for about 2 years!

It is a lot of work for you and your child and very expensive too. Of course when they get in its worth it, but its a really hard flog!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bravado

Post by bravado »

DAO has hit the nail on the head regarding numbers etc.

DD1 and DD2 went to a state school with some intermittent "patchy" teaching. Although DD2 had been dipping in and out of Bond book from the age of 5, we only really started to DIY tutor properly from late May of YR 5. It wasn't an expensive exercise for us - only the cost of the books. So she really only had about 3.5 months of regular tests and tutoring. It depends on your child and many other factors, as to how far in advance of the test and how much you and they do.

We tailored our 11+ plan according to what we know about DD2 as a person and her level of self-motivation and commitment. On 1st March we got the wonderful news that she'd won a place at a superselective but our approach wouldn't work for everyone. That's why this site is so amazing - you can pick and choose from a wide array of experiences, based on your area's or school's exam format :D

One of our sport trainers, who is a former world champion and a "grafter", always says "talent will only get you so far..." and he's right because hard work has to go hand-in-hand with talent, in order to make it happen and get those results.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Our school does not use the word talented or able, only hard work is celebrated. DG
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

I think that's an interesting and valid value!
bravado

Post by bravado »

Daogroupie wrote:Our school does not use the word talented or able, only hard work is celebrated. DG
Blimey DAO - you've set my rusty vocab-bank a challenge on this hot Bank Holiday :D