percentages

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SleepyHead

percentages

Post by SleepyHead »

We are working on percentages at home (DD will be starting year 5 in September)

I am not sure how much detail to cover - for example does DD need to know how to calculate VAT, how to find the percentage increase or decrease if an item is sold above or below cost price?

Also, if given the % profit or loss made, and the selling price, would DD be expected to work out the original price?

I realize this depends on area and school - we are looking at Habs, North London Consortium Girls School and Watford Grammar and HBS.

Thanks
SleepyHead
future

Re: percentages

Post by future »

I would have thought you would need to cover all those scenarios for the schools mentioned
moved

Post by moved »

Usually, at this age, a child should be able to work out a test score or similar as a percentage. Look at some past papers to check.

E.g. Write 15 out of 20 as a percentage/decimal/simplest fraction
or
What is 15% of 360?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

hi thanks for replies, :) yes DD can work out a score as a percentage but she's finding the following type of question quite tricky.

question) A shop keeper sells a TV for 60 pounds, and he make a 20% profit, find out the original price of the TV.

similarly ... A TV costs 50 and is sold for 68 pounds, what is the percentage profit a shop keeper makes.

Been struggling with this today... any ideas on how to explain these more complicated percentage questions

thanks
sleepyhead
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't thnk original price questions are appropriate for 11+; can you check they are needed?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thanks guest55 for your reply. I have looked the through some of the north london girls consortium past papers and couldn't find these question types.

Hopefully they are out of scope as Dd found them tricky despite trying to explain as simply As I could.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you find they are needed I would suggest doing your example like this.

Selling price is 120% of cost price.

Find 1% by dividing by 120.

Find 100% by multiplying this by 100. You now have cost price.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thanks mystery.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now