Waiting list for more than one grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nonplussed

Waiting list for more than one grammar?

Post by nonplussed »

Hello! Just in preparation for 11+ results day in October, does anybody know if it's possible to go on the waiting list for more than one grammar school at the same time? I've spoken to our local authority about the equal preference system and I cannot get a straight answer.

Our daughter is taking the tests for both Reading and Bucks grammars. In the happy event that she achieves the qualifying scores for both (i.e. 109 for Kendrick, approx 121 for Bucks) but she is not allocated any grammar places in the first round, what would our options be?

Many thanks for any insights!
hermanmunster

Re: Waiting list for more than one grammar?

Post by hermanmunster »

welcome nonplussed!

When you get the exam results you will have to fill a CAF form with the schools in order of preference - it is a single form even though you may be applying to schools in different boroughs.

On allocation day you will be allocated the first school on your list that can offer a place. If you are not offered a place at your first choice school then that is discounted and you are then equally considered for your second choice ie just because you put a school second does not make it less likely that you will get a place than someone who put it first who is equally qualified.

if you do not get your first (or second) choice then you can be on the waiting list for places at these schools - you can also appeal for a place at more than one school too.
nonplussed

Post by nonplussed »

Thank you hermanmunster for your quick reply! Still not quite sure I understand - maybe could you help me with a theoretical example? Let's say our CAF lists five schools like this

1. Grammar School A
2. Grammar School B
3. Comprehensive C
4. Comprehensive D
5. Comprehensive E

If we meet the 11+ qualifying score for both grammar schools but they can't immediately offer a place on allocation day, I guess we would we get an offer from comprehensive C instead. Do we then have to reject the offer from C in order to stay on the waiting list for A? And could we stay on the waiting lists for A and B simultaneously?

I'm asking this because I'm sure distance will be a big factor in the Bucks grammar school allocations. In previous years they have mostly opened up to out-of-catchment applicants only in the second and third allocations.

Thanks again!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You can (and should ) keep the place at school C,
meanwhile you can be on the waiting lists for both schools A and B -
you can also appeal to both against over subscription http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now