Kent 2012 takers - what did you do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Kent 2012 takers - what did you do?

Post by mystery »

Please could you tell me, if your child passed, what sort of standard you got to before the test e.g nc levels in end year 5 school report, age of bond assessment papers your child could do, which practice papers your child could do e.g gl assessment tests 1 to 8, which schofield and sims mental arithmetic book you were doing etc etc

Thanks.
scarlett

Re: Kent 2012 takers - what did you do?

Post by scarlett »

Just as they were about to take it , you mean ? I'll have a look for reports but think the boys were just level 5 possibly a bit higher for maths. We got to the end of Bond 10/11 the next book up was recommended by their teacher but it seemed quite hard and we moved onto GL papers by then . Trawl through that huge thread last year and it will probably tell you how our dc found each paper. Some are harder / sneakier then others. I'd like to know what books children were reading at that stage .my DS2 did do some of those schofield mental maths ..shall let you know what level when I dust them off next week for Dd . Boo :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks Scarlett, that would be useful..my relative who took kent test 7 years ago and got v high scores only did bond 9 - 10 in maths and some of the gl assessment maths papers from pack one, but got 140 in the maths. Pack 2 maths looks much harder than pack 1. I know someone who claims to have a full set of the real kent maths papers( probably why they are changing the test) and she says the full set of 8 gl papers is pretty representative of what could come up, and that some of the questions are identical.

Get the impression from something someone said to someone i know from kcc that they are expecting many children who go to grammar to be level 5 maths by end of year 5 so could expect that kind of level of question whether it is cem or gl that win the tender.

Yes just as they are about to take it, where did people get to in these various popular practice books etc. I suppose you can get a long way over the summer if nothing stands in your way. Did you find Scarlett that 10 to 11 bond maths assessment papers went further than gl assessment pack 2? I need to buy it to find out i suppose!

How far did you go with the vr and nvr practice?

Reading - my relative who passed 7 years ago was not a prolific reader and would have read trash I think. Harry potter would probably have been his heights - the early ones.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry but I can't tell you what level he was in Maths and English as their school didn't do SATS.

However, in the summer leading up to the 11+ he was doing Bond 11+ books in NVR, VR and Maths and he worked his way through both sets of the GL Assessment papers.

I have pm'd you too.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you. The pm has not arrived yet - hope it does.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Doodles, sorry, a bit cheeky, but would you mind Pming me about the levels your DS was at? Being new in the area, I feel I have a lot to learn :oops: :roll:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi..did post a very long reply earlier but was on the beach and kept losing a signal. Grr. Shall now try again and burn dinner.

Both the boys were just level 5 at the end of year 5...the ht said anyone taking the 11 plus should be a 4a or above. However, after a good month at least of constant papers etc I would say they must have been a solid level 5 by the time they took it. I could see the improvement. We just went as far as 10/11 bond maths. The one below I felt was markedly easier the one above a bit harder . I have seen the 2009 maths paper and yes, it is identical to the gl papers. The questions are worded the same. I would also say that most of the questions are of the 10/11 level. If you have the time carry on, but I would prefer just making their maths knowledge tighter and concentrate on reading the word problems properly...they are sneaky!

We went up to 11/12 on the vr and nvr but really because they found that easier. I'm going to buy the Letts 11 plus books..they seemed quite hard and a bit different. It's good to have variety!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

From memory, I think DS was a 5c in English and 5b in maths at the end of Year 5. We did 10-11 Bond papers for all three topics plus a few GL ones for VR and NVR. If he took his time, he would score highly in all three, but the summer was spent working on timing and English (for St Olaves). Under time pressure, scores dipped initially and we worked on different approaches eg. just answer all of them in order vs leaving the ones that took DS longer until the end. We didn't do any 11-12 papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh thanks everyone. Everyone has gone a lot further in age with the bond papers than I had suspected. Oooof!

Scarlett, do you think it was worth going up to 11-12 on the vr and nvr?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You all seem to have headteachers who talk about the 11 plus too. All ours has said on the matter is that a level 4 at the end of year 5 should be enough and if you make your children do work at home there will be some bad consequences. Maybe this is why so few pass from there each year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now