Raw scores in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

firebrand1

Raw scores in Birmingham

Post by firebrand1 »

Does anyone know if children now receive just their standardised scores or also their raw scores. I just wondered if there was any intelligence on what a raw score "pass" mark was - ie what raw score has historically given say a standardised score of 220 - eg 60%? 70%?
KenR

Re: Raw scores in Birmingham

Post by KenR »

FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

This is fascinating reading for a parent of a child who struggled to get into Queen Mary's or Adams, but aced an entrance exam into a private grammar school to the extent of being offered a 100% scholarship.

He was born very early in September.
nostress

Post by nostress »

I remember there was a news story recently saying some research suggested that summer babies do not catch up as previously thought but are still behind when they take their GCSEs. With that there was some talk of age standardising GCSEs. What nobody seems to mention is the effect of gender on educational performance. There is a great deal of research to show that boys and girls of the same age are not at the same level academically with girls being a full year ahead of boys on entry into primary school. This is also compounded by girls having better hand eye coordination and therefore better/clearer handwriting. They tend to get treated more favourably by the teachers. Boys tend to fall further behind and get turned off academically. Historically girls out perform boys in the GCSEs. So maybe there should be gender standardisation too? I don't actually believe this BTW. But where do you draw the line? Poor white children or those from Bangladeshi backgrounds perform less well than children from affluent white, Indian, Nigerian, Chinese backgrounds so maybe we should standardise by ethnic background and social class too.

What happens when summer born children enter grammar schools. Do they do less well in the end of year examinations? Setting?
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Mistress, I agree with your sentiments.

Of course, with our April born child finding out soon, we will benefit from standardisation where we suffered last year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now