Numerical Reasoning & Cloze Books available to pre-order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eleven plus exams

Numerical Reasoning & Cloze Books available to pre-order

Post by eleven plus exams »

Eleven Plus Exams' new titles in 11+ Numerical Reasoning and 11+ Cloze Tests particularly suited to CEM exams, are now available to pre-order on our online shop at this link http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/CEM-11-PLUS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new books will be available later this month.

Please ensure when ordering on our online shop that you order these titles separately from other titles in stock to avoid any delay in despatch of the rest of your order.
sasa

Re: Numerical Reasoning & Cloze Books available to pre-order

Post by sasa »

We received these books this morning and have already started using them. My daughter has tried the first of each type of the Cloze tests, and the first of the Numerical Reasoning tests. While they look very good, we have found some errors in them.

The Cloze book has a word shown as the correct answer that wasn't even an option on the multiple choices, and in the Numerical Reasoning book there are errors that make one of the questions (Test 1, Q4) impossible to answer/wrong answers given.

Thankfully, I go through the work very carefully with her after she has completed it, and we realised the errors. However, the errors in the Numerical Reasoning were very disheartening for my daughter as she had struggled with an unanswerable question, and so had not been able to finish the paper.

I am very unhappy that I have come across so many errors on first use of the books. I will now have to check each test before I allow my daughter to take it so that she does not come across such errors again. I would have expected publications coming from a respected publisher such as yourselves to have been free from such errors.

The style of tests appear to be very good, but I was disappointed to discover so many errors.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

Dear Sasa,

We are really sorry for your experience and fully understand your frustrations.

If you had purchased this book from our website you may have received an e-mail about the mix-up between the proof copies and final versions, wherein we are recalling the proofing copies.

We are inviting parents to either, for now, use this link

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... e-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which lists the main changes between the proof version and final version (excluding minor typos) or send their copy back in for an exchange with the final version and refund of the postage.

If you need further assistance please do call our offices or PM me.

Thank you.

ForumAdmin
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi

My DS has been doing the Cloze 1 and 2 books. I think the word bank and MCQ sections are quite demanding. I feel that the missing letters section has been made too easy; often all but two or three letters of the word are missing. Eg, the word "perplexed" in Test H appears as as perp[]ex[]d.

Surely, the CEM exams would be more demanding than than this. I thought CEM might also make it so that candidates have to find the first part of the word or second part of the word. So, instead of:
perp[]ex[]d, it would be [][][][][]exed or perp[][][][][].

Is there an intention to make this section more challenging in future publications.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

just passing on a helpful tip to those that are on a limited budget. For cloze type prep, I used chunks of prose out of text books, newspapers, journals etc.. I covered up the odd word here and there and presented that to DC for cloze type revision. There are enough resources around us, free newspapers, flyers and the suchlike to use as cloze.
Just a hint or an alternative to buying resources for 11+ type revision.
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

sbarnes, excellent tip.. thanks for sharing.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

most welcome; My philosophy is to keep it simple and real. Don't get caught up with what everyone else is doing all the time! Good luck.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Agree that you don't necessarily need cloze books - DIY can work very well.

You can also use these with the free "make you own cloze" material available from links mentioned in a few place on this site
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

That's a great idea and would add variety too. But I would really struggle to know if the content is pitched at the right level......! Any advice on that would be really helpful

Many thanks
Nevine

Post by Nevine »

I live in Northern Ireland
We expect to move to birmingham by September 2016
My daughter is born in April 2005 (birth date edited by moderator). So she should sit the 11+ on September 2015 as I understand
I am very keen that she gets into KI camp hill but I am really puzzled about preparation for 11+
She is being prepared for Northern Ireland transfer test which is completely different than the 11+
Could you please advise me regarding preparation,materials ..etc
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now