Birkenhead High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Birkenhead High

Post by Guest »

Anyone heard about Birkenhead High going non-fee paying. Apparantly they will become Academy status within 2 yearsand be mixed ability.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Guest,

Could you please tell us how you heard about this.. :?

Thank you..

AM

Post by Guest »

I believe letters were sent to parents and were received in the post on saturday. I believe it will be like Belvidere School in Liverpool. (still with some imput from the GDST). Meeting with parents to follow this week.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Thanks for the info Guest.

Please let us know what is said at the meeting (If you’re going.)

AM

Post by Guest »

I won't be going but a friend with child at school will. Quite radical isn't it?
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Quite radical isn't it?
That one way of putting it!

AM
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I have heard exactly the same thing. Don't know how this will affect the school in the long run. Open for discussion I guess.
Primary Mum

Post by Primary Mum »

I think it's a great Idea... Or maybe keep it as a fee paying school but increase the Scholarships dramatically (don't think this would work though)

I live about 200 yards away from the school and would love my Son/Daughter to go here. Unfortunately we cannot afford it.

But I'm not complaining as she is in a Wonderful Grammar School with zero fees ...

But it open's up more opportunities for the kids of Wirral.

What happens to the people who are paying fees at the moment ???
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I think the people who are paying fees at the moment will continue to do so until Academy status is up and running (ie 2 years time) when fees will no longer then apply.
I suppose it's good if you think that you can't afford for your daughter to go there but then may think that you could manage for a year or two until Academy status. But I'm sure there will be parents who will not be happy with "the mix"but others may argue that this will enrich the school and be more of a cross section of life.

Post by Guest »

I was wondering how this would affect the applications for the local girls grammar school.

If Birkenhead is to become mixed ability more parents will maybe want their daughter to attend grammar instead.

It will be interesting to see if there is a rise in applications for the local grammar over the next two years!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now