Change in exam format

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busybee10

Change in exam format

Post by busybee10 »

The Trafford style entrance exam uses the VR, NVR, Maths and short composition format. There is a suggestion at the moment that this may be changing to include comprehension / English. For any other area's that have recently changed format- please can you let me know how they have changed? Do they still include VR and NVR?
Ladymuck

Re: Change in exam format

Post by Ladymuck »

Sutton boys grammars changed from standard form English comprehension/composition, maths and VR to stage 1 MC English and Maths then stage 2 standard form maths and English composition only/composition plus comprehension depending on the school (well strictly we're still waiting to find out!).
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

Thanks Ladymuck!
so did they scrap the VR altogether?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes, no more VR. And they're not giving out sample papers all in the name of "levelling the playing field". There is a skew towards writing though, with 30-35% of the overall ranking being determined on composition (up from a maximum of 20% previously).
mystery

Post by mystery »

Busy bee, kent had a test like yours for years. Gl assessment nvr, vr and maths with a short story which was only looked at in the event of borderline failure. Is the Trafford composition marked?

Kent is out to tender at the moment for the 2014 test. We do not know yet what the outcome will be but the test will be shorter. 2 papers rather than 3. They have asked for tests in numeracy, literacy and reasoning, multiple choice, about 40 to 50 mins per test. There will still be the composition for borderline fails. Contract should be awarded by end October. Think there are maybe only two contenders - gl and cem. Or are there some other possibilities?
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

Hi Mystery- Thanks for the reply. Currently the format for Trafford is NVR, VR, Maths and an essay if the child is borderline, so it sounds identical to Kent. There have been rumours that a reading comprehension will be added but I wasn't sure whether there would still be VR and NVR or not?
So I take it there will be English, Maths and VR and no NVR?
Thanks!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ladymuck, good to hear about the skew towards writing. In my opinion our students need to be able to write well to explain concepts in many subjects. DG
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Yes. I think that it is a challenge for schools who have to test all applicants to be able to do so sensibly and cost-effectively. Cost-effectiveness leads towards multiple choice, but of course you can tell a lot from a child's written work. Sutton have moved to a 2-step process, so multiple choice tests which whittle down from 2,500 to 600-700 who are then the pool for the 3 grammar schools who then set their own papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If kent goes c e m there will most likely be nvr in the mix. The bucks and bexley familiarisation papers from c e m both contain nvr.

I agree that children need to write well in all subjects but I am not sure that it follows directly from this that 10 - 11 year old admission tests should contain a creative writing piece.