Radio interview about Essex grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hongkong

Radio interview about Essex grammar schools

Post by hongkong »

Did any one listen to the radio interview the other day about Essex grammar schools? My dad just told me about it today, I didn't hear it. The bit he was interested in was Colchester, as we live here. He said they mentioned that around 175 children where jointly going to the boys' and girls' school who were not from Essex. They interviewed the head of the girls' school, asking her if she thought it was fair for that to be the case. She apparently said they were only interested in getting the top students.

If any one else heard it, was there any thing else of interest. Also my dad had recently applied to the council for that exact piece of information through the freedom of information act, and was told they didn't keep have that information! Well obviously someone does!
Blitz

Re: Radio interview about Essex grammar schools

Post by Blitz »

WOW! I'm amazed by that figure, considering there are just over 200 going to both schools.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Did they mean mean 175 in both schools across 7 years?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I am sure it will be 175 across all year groups. The suffolk border is however quite close to Colchester and so I am not surprised at the number.Both my DC's have friends living in suffolk, they live closer to the school and have a shorter commute than many essex DC's.
I believe I read somewhere that schools are not allowed to have admission policies that discriminate against children from other LEA's. Also if the Colchester grammar schools were to apply a 12.5 mile radius for catchment as the Chelmsford ones have then a significant chunk of suffolk would be in catchment.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

it must be across the whole school. I have asked dad for more details.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Now that figure seems quite low. About 12-14 children per year group. Especially as the Suffolk border is so close and CRGS has the boarding places at 6th form.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

Dad said it was on radio Essex. Will ask him today what the numbers were exactly. Reading about KEGS they said they put in a catchment as over 40% of boys were further that 12.5mies away. I would imagine the Colchester schools would be similar. That would make about 80 children in year 7 for both schools.

I was looking at a map of Colchester (I must get out more!) and I think if they put a 12.5 catchment around the grammar schools here it would only take in the very borders of Suffolk. Its purely theoretical so irrelevant really, but I only think a small number would get in from Suffolk.

I guess what ever the numbers its seems really unfair that Colchester children are loosing out places to people outside. I know a few of my daughters' friends who scored between 303-327 who are definitely clever enough to go to a grammar school but don't even get a look in. Still think the real answer is to have more grammar schools!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Assuming the 175 to be right, 30 of those would presumably be CRGS 's sixth form borders. That leaves 145, so approx 11 per year group at each school, which is only about 10%.
If you want to see a 12.5 mile radius applied to the centre of colchester then this tool is good:

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/to ... %20Britain
Unfortunately it defaults back to 25 miles when I post! It doesn't show the suffolk border but as a rough guide follow the river stour.
What I find very interesting is the number of essex towns, particularly in tendring, that would be outside the 12.5 mile limit, so perhaps this is why the Colchester schools havent followed Chelmsford. DD has several girls in her class from Harwich.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

have just checked with my dad. The 175 is the combined number in the girls' and boys' school of children not from Essex. That is in the whole of the school. Obviously there are many more children outside a 12.5m radius, but a lot of them will still be in Essex. I think the interview was about why should Essex tax payers be paying for children who do not live in Essex.
Slogger

Post by Slogger »

hongkong wrote:have just checked with my dad. The 175 is the combined number in the girls' and boys' school of children not from Essex. That is in the whole of the school. Obviously there are many more children outside a 12.5m radius, but a lot of them will still be in Essex. I think the interview was about why should Essex tax payers be paying for children who do not live in Essex.
My understanding is that education is centrally funded by government so nothing to do with council tax. I stand to be corrected though
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now