Careers advice in sixth form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Careers advice in sixth form

Post by Belinda »

Anyone else's child have absolutely no 'careers advice' at all in sixth form?

It's a very good grammar school and 95% plus apply for university courses. There are several days set aside for UCAS etc in Y12 and ongoing advice and guidance for Personal Statements / applications in Autumn Y13. DD's friend was rejected from all four med schools and has been supported by school regarding next steps.

No-one has spoken to DD about her plans; neither has she offered any information. :wink:

Her last careers talk was in Y9!

Rightly or wrongly, I do feel it a bit poor as it seems that unless a student is applying to university the school appear not to care. There has been absolutely no careers / further education advice or guidance for post Y13 for non university applicants. Well, not for my DD; they have no idea what she is doing next year.

I think someone at the school should have at least spent 5 or so mins with DD.

...maybe offered her a leaflet or two?

Not a word.
KB

Re: Careers advice in sixth form

Post by KB »

Responsibility for careers advice has recently passed from a specific agency (connexions) to schools but with out any transfer of funding so in many cases the teaching staff are not trained in this area. Historically some of the teaching staff have had responsibility for University applications (and have received training in that area).

This said it doesn't excuse your DDs form tutor from checking what her situation is.

looks like you are not the only ones in this situation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... el-careers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ours in a highly selective GS so there really are not many pupils who are not looking at Higher Education but they do organise Careers Evenings at school and take students to locally organised events. They also give the option of undertaking a computer based analysis.

If your daughter is still looking at options and you are in a position to do so then it might be worth looking at private services - I agree that you shouldn't have to but if you have access to a decent service then it could be a good investment for her.

Also there are various organisations you can find online that give advice on specific areas and types of qualifications (some mentioned in the article above).

Best wishes to DD
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Thank you KB for your post. Yes, I appreciate teachers are there to teach and not find courses / jobs etc. for students post 18.

I doubt there is too much funding required to have a five minute chat and hand over a leaflet to a small handful of students. UCAS applicants get lots of group (and individual) meetings, support and guidance.

Oh well...
Thankfully DD does have plans for the next three years, but not through UCAS.

I just found it rather odd more than anything else that the school hadn't thought to even ask DD what she might be thinking of doing post Y13; or perhaps to hand out a leaflet or two for those not applying / going to university offering onward advice about how and where to seek guidance and support in further education / employment.

There has been absolutely nothing at all. Not a word said to her. And that I find a bit strange.

Perhaps they are glad to see the back of her! :wink:
KB

Post by KB »

It does seem odd that the school haven't checked what her plans are - you would think that when they didn't get a UCAS application from her they would have checked!

As for teaching staff giving careers advice - my informed guess is that there are rules about who is allowed to give what advice/ what counts as information v advice.

I agree that if they haven't got resources to train staff then the sensible thing would be for them to have information leaflets about where to go to get the help they need. Probably need a disclaimer if they list any web sites :)

It seems daft that the government should have pulled the plug on Connexions funding at a time when they are supposedly trying to deal with youth unemployment.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Ah well, it's ultimately of no consequence to DD as she has her next three years sorted.

Her school is sufficiently well off so it's not a finance issue; perhaps an oversight in not having 'something' (however small) in place to at least acknowledge those choosing not to apply to university.

:D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Just resurrecting this - did you find any answers? We are now facing similar issues and school seems utterly unable to offer any advice to anyone who is having doubts or isn't sure about wanting to tread the old familiar paths. I wonder if this is worse at high-achieving grammar schools as they feel that able kids have the world at their feet and ought to know what they want to do with total certainty. As a mother I feel unable to offer the kind of expert, informed help needed. Any advice gratefully received.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Careers advice in my view has, in general, always been pretty poor whoever has provided or not provided it. It is much easier now to research particular careers as there is so much stuff online whereas, in my day, you had to go and read all about it in some careers library or other.

My best advice is : get a job, fast as possible, whether or not you are doing a degree. Work hard, make an impression, even if you hate it.

I look at a jobless graduate member of my family and despair. New graduates are rolling off the production line every year and your shelf life is short.

There are good careers sections in many quality papers.

What colour is your parachute used to be a good book for getting you to think about how to identify and achieve your ultimate career goal. Don't know if it still exists. There are careers threads on the student room which are still useful if you are not doing a degree.

There was theoretically a lot of free careers advice in my day, but it wasn't worth the public funding spent on it.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It does indeed still exist, I've just ordered it off Amazon for £2.79 (second hand), I figure at that price it can't go amiss.

DD is only just sitting GCSE's this year, but has no idea of what she wants to do (has swung between various options over the year previously). I keep trying to get her to think of possibilities, this might help, thanks Mystery!

DD's school does have a careers' fair every two years and she's been twice over the years. Hopefully once in sixth form they will continue the good service.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Snowdrops wrote:It does indeed still exist, I've just ordered it off Amazon for £2.79 (second hand), I figure at that price it can't go amiss.
It is £12.36 or £8 for the workbook, whatever that is. I shall order it anyway - thanks mystery. It isn't so much not going to uni, it is knowing what to do when one gets there which is causing the problems. Too much choice, perhaps...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks for that Amber, I didn't realise there were different editions. I ad ordered the 2008 edition, but a that is now five years old I've cancelled it and am pondering on he Kindle edition or the paperback.