transport issues

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

alana

transport issues

Post by alana »

I applied for discretionary transport to a Bucks GS for my two children back in April this year. At the beginning of August I was informed that Amey Client Transport were unable to offer them places but that they would remain on the waiting list. So I resigned in to driving them to school - not a big deal, but I would have preferred them to have more independence and to have the opportunity to meet children in the area (we recently moved).

Today I pulled out of my drive directly behind the school bus and followed it all the way to school. How frustrating! On my return there was a letter from Bucks CC informing me that one of my children has now been offered a place on the bus. I am going to accept the place.

But it looks like I am also going to be driving my DD the same route most days (she will cycle the 3 miles if the weather is good). Obviously this is a ridiculous and very irritating situation. I have found it impossible to get through to the transport team on the phone to ask advice. So, has anyone else been in this situation? And if so, have you managed to persuade transport to accept your other child on to the bus? I read in their policy that there is always spare capacity kept back for in-year transfers of entitled children - do you think there is any chance they could give up one of these spaces?

Many thanks.
ninu

Re: transport issues

Post by ninu »

Hi

I am looking for transport to Burnham Grammar School from Langley and these bus services do not cover this area. I dont know if you are travelling from this or the nearby areas but if you are you might want to consider a proposal that was made to me by apple travel today. If there are parents looking for transport from colnbrook, langley, datchet, slough areas to burnham grammar school - apple travel are willing to lay on a bus service to accomodate them as long as we get around 30 students who wish to use this service. If you are interested or this would suit you please get in touch with me so we can try and get this bus up and running.

Thanks
alana

Post by alana »

Panic over. Second letter arrived offering up another place. Thank you to those that responded via PMs with your advice. And good luck to anyone facing the 11+ this month. All the best Ninu with your transport too.
nonplussed

Post by nonplussed »

Hello! Does anybody know whether any private buses to Bucks grammar schools run from outside the county, particular from Maidenhead or Windsor areas? The school open days were not helpful, they just told us that free buses are only provided within Buckinghamshire.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Free buses are only provided to the closest school if it is more than 3 miles away. There are private buses running from Maidenhead to various schools. The school offices may be able to tell you, or if you post on here asking about specific schools people will tell you.
scary mum
SadDad

Post by SadDad »

Transport is a nightmare. We struggled for passes too, trying to get three children on the same bus, and paying three different fares, at three different times. If we had a public transport available we would use it. Driving is not really an option for us.

A recent issue has flagged up that Buckinghamshire also has a zero tolerance approach to forgotten/lost bus passes, so all children must have a bus pass at all times. As the traffic is so much worse (maybe because more parents driving to schools?) the bus has managed to be on time on only a handful of times this term.

So beware, it is not just the cost that has gone up but the service has just got even less user friendly and less reliable. Use alternative transport if you are at all able.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now