Travelling daily from Kingston to any of the Sutton Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSC

Travelling daily from Kingston to any of the Sutton Schools

Post by MSC »

Anyone here with children traveling daily from Kingston to any of the Sutton Schools?
What's the experience so far and which school?

And those who are in Kingston and planning for their children to attend any of the Sutton School, what is the travel daily plan?!

Thanks.
Last edited by MSC on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
Snowdaddy

Re: Travelling daily from Kingston to any of the Sutton Scho

Post by Snowdaddy »

I think there was an old thread somewhere on this, but basically it was 213 bus and variations of walking and connections (depending upon the school). The X26 was an alternative (but is only half hourly). Depending upon your start point is also possible to coonect at Norbiton, or The Fountain in New Malden. Likely to be journey of over an hour

I think there was comments about the slow peak time due to traffic, so the Train via Raynes Park would be an alternative, but you need to buy a season ticket as TfL zip pass doesn't cover it
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

Hi there DD2 is at Wallington and we live by Norbition station. The journey is better than I expected with a 213 to Worcester Park and then 627 that goes straight to the school from there. The route passes quite a few of the grammar schools including Wallington boys and Nonsuch so she seems to be in good company.

Tiring first week though! Just waiting to get into the groove...
redstar

Post by redstar »

My DS travels each day on the X26 from Kingston to Sutton, as do 3 other boys from his year, plus some from other year groups, and lots more getting on at New Malden. It only runs every 30 mins but is very reliable - in one year of school journeys it only failed to arrive on time once! The 7.25ish bus in the morning gets to Sutton at 8.10, so it depends on how far you are from bus stops to judge the overall journey time, but it's do-able.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

If you mean the Sutton Borough schools in Wallington then it's a bit of a hike but train to Wimbledon, tram and short bus journey is another option.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thank you so much for the replies everyone!

I found the old thread mentioned by Snowdaddy;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... +to+sutton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I repost the most informative replies;

Depending on where one lives in Kingston:

213 would go to Nonsuch and Sutton Grammar.
X26 would go to Wallington boys as well as Nonsuch and Sutton Grammar.
X26 to Carshalton HS and then another bus to Wilson's
X26 to Carshalton HS and then another bus for Wallington Girls.

There are other possibilites

Train to Wimbledon and then
- train to Sutton for Sutton Grammar.
- tram to Therapia Lane and then bus to Wilson's.
- tram to Therapia Lane and bus to Wallington boys or Wallington Girls.
- tram to Mitcham Junction and then bus to Wallington Girls.

Mums/Dads taxi to anywhere. Even from Slough to Wilson's. :lol:

---

I understand perfectly well why you started the thread as travel is something I've often asked about as well.

Tiffinboys has kindly pointed out the available buses/trains but hopefully I can help with some of the other points.

You shouldn't have problems picking up buses (213/X26) from Kingston in terms of them being too full. By the time the X26 gets to W Park, however (having stopped at New Malden) its heaving. Obvious downside with the X26 though is that it only runs every half hour.

The 213 takes a long old route from Kingston to get through New Malden and the X26 is considerably more direct. In both cases, don't underestimate the traffic going through Cheam - it can be a slow haul up through North Cheam into Cheam village itself (where you get off for Nonsuch.)

Travel to Nonsuch is obviously the easiest from Kingston as it's just one bus and it's the closest school. Sutton Grammar also easy - 5 or 6 minutes extra on the same bus.

Travel to both Wallington schools and Wilsons would be pretty horrendous on the bus from Kingston, however. X26 does go direct to Wallington boys but it would be a very early start from Kingston. Don't believe the timetable by the way either. The bus that is supposed to get to Wallington boys for 8.17 am (which would be in time for the start of the day) does not get there at that time (I know - I've checked :D ). You would have to get the bus that leaves half an hour earlier (arrival time 7.50 approx.) It is possible to get the 213 into into Sutton and then change onto the 407, but again this involves a horribly early start and hanging around at bus stops etc so not great but possible.

I personally don't think getting the bus from Kingston to Wilsons is feasible (unless you're prepared to get up at the crack of dawn) and would recommend an alternative method. No idea about Wally Girls really.

To sum up, Nonsuch and Sutton G doable by bus. Think again for the others. Train costs add up.

Also, just my personal view, I'm not sure the early start per se is the problem, I think chopping and changing from one bus to another, or changing trains and then having to get a bus etc is more problematic. All it takes is for one connection to be missed and it's a really bad start to the day....... :shock:

Hope that helps :D
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I should probably update this now DS is actually doing the journey to Wallington.

We've discovered that although Wallington is less than three miles from Sutton grammar, it can take up to twenty minutes to do that bit of the journey on the bus. The traffic through Carshalton can be a nightmare! We've also discovered that the 627 bus is not very reliable for those planning on changing in Worcester Park. Finally, anyone wanting to use the X26 to travel to Wallington really has to get the early bus. It means a very early start - in our case DS has to be at the bus stop by 7.15.

I would say to think very carefully about the length of your child's journey. I'm yet to be convinced that a grammar school education is always worth the length of journey that many children seem to be doing. That said DS seems to be settling in well and we are impressed with WCGS so far.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In my humble opinion, whether this long journey is worth it or not depends on lot of factors, including but not limited to the level of child's ability and the quality of other options available. If comparatively good option was available locally, who would want to travel from Kingston to Sutton or Wallington or even far.

2outof3 (or rather 3outof3): perhaps you may be able to organise group of few children to go to WCGS and on the way, to SGS and Nonsuch. Perhaps a mini coach, even for morning, may be useful.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Of course Tiffin Boys that's why I deliberately said that the journey is not "always" worth it. There will be many, many factors to consider - many of which you have already cited.

I just think it's very important for parents to consider the quality of life their children will have in the whole and not just focus on getting a grammar education at any cost. Ultimately every family will make the decision they think is best for their child and who am I to argue with that ? 8).

I actually still think the journey to Wallington or Sutton G is doable from Kingston as the X26 is an excellent bus. However for Wallington you will have to get the early bus and bear in mind that it only runs every half hour. Also on the return journey some children can't get on the first bus as its full. They then have to get the 407 (that runs every 15 mins or so) and change in sutton.

Just food for thought........... :D
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thank you so much everyone - snowdaddy, supermummy, redstar, panickattack, 2outof 3 and TB . Really helpful.

So from your replies, my conclusion at the moment is that in the event of an unsuccessful Tiffin campaign, Sutton Grammar would be the next hope and the single bus journey is just about doable. In the event of unsuccessful Sutton campaing too, then I should really think twice before going for Wallington or Wilsons or Greenshaw. Am I right so far?

Although DS is currently doing very well in school in all subjects at Y4 end, now in Y5. Nothing is for sure obviously. So if both Tiffin Boys and Sutton Grammar campaigns are unsuccessul, which other school should I be looking at for my DS ? (Assuming I am not so keen on Greycourt, Holyfield, Southboroiugh, Chessington).

Any other tips for successful 2014 sitting would be greatly appreciated :-). Hope your DCs are doing great; are they sitting this year 2outof3 and TB?.

Thanks.

MSC
Last edited by MSC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now