Wanted - exam techniques to speed up the maths paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

discreetmum

Wanted - exam techniques to speed up the maths paper

Post by discreetmum »

Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up working through the maths paper?

Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Wanted - exam techniques to speed up the maths paper

Post by yoyo123 »

work hard on times tables and mental calculations, gives more time to spend on the actual questions, quite of ten the arithmetic involved is fairly simple and if you have instant recall of tables facts you will often see a relationship in the figures..eg 3 4 12; 7 8 56
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello again,

The best way to achieve timing, is to practice basic skills. Ten miniute bonds test are quite useful in preparation for this. Confidence also helps in achieving timing, make sure your DC is familiar with all types of question. It wont be fair to expect Dc to achieve time target when he is not familiar with the types of question in an exam paper.

My DC has only now, for the past few weeks been achieving time targets fairly ok. I wouldnt say comfortably, but he is getting there.

Good luck, and take care
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Many thanks both of you for your help!

Oshosh - glad to hear your DC is doing well on the timings! You take care too.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I ran classes every day for eight days during the summer holidays and the improvements in speed and marks in VR and Maths among the students who came every day were dramatic. One student went from 19 out of 80 to 75 out of 80 in VR in one week and made dramatic improvements in Maths as well. Keep a daily record and confidence and marks will soar. DG