Maths sets and all

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

modernista

Maths sets and all

Post by modernista »

Well they are in the second year, DD was happy to fing she is in set 1 which seems to be the 'top' set. She was soon disappointed to find that it meant the teacher didn't explain much but just gave them exercises suuming they could do it. To be fair to the teacher, the topic (equations) had been covered before but I think it was DDs fuzzy area. According to her, people in set 2 were explained properly and knew what they were doing.

Anyone with similar experiences? Can I ask for her to be downgraded. Is DD imagining this all?
Daogroupie

Re: Maths sets and all

Post by Daogroupie »

No , this is a very real issue being in the top set. Your dd will find herself with students who find Maths very easy so the teacher will be zooming through the syllabus. My dd is in top set Maths and complains about this all the time. If I was not able to help her at home I would ask for her to be moved down. She gets very high marks but does find the pace fast. Try it for a few more weeks but if it does not get any better ask for her to be moved down. DG
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks DG, I am able to help her and she is quick. But I wonder what this is in aid of? To give GCSE early? What is the point of her feeling frustrated during class? Should I teach her ahead so when the exercises are given, she is able to utilise her time in class? Maybe I will wait for a topic she is more confident of and see if this superfast approach encourages her to work more independently.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi Modernista - I agree totally with DG. In year 9 my DS started out in the super-fast top set, where there are a few children scoring 100% in every test, due obviously mostly to outstanding maths ability but some also because they are having extra maths tutoring outside school so they have covered some topics already. He moved down to the second set where the pace is still fast but there is a lot more explanation, and he is MUCH happier. Yes indeed the reason for the fast pace does seem to be because the top set takes the GCSE a year early, but at DS's school the second set take it early too!
emsy

Post by emsy »

Both my children were put in top set maths in year 8. For my daughter, who is good but not one of the top ones at maths and doesn't enjoy it, it was a big mistake - before she had a good grasp of a topic they moved on to the next one and despite hard work she was always near the bottom in tests. With help at home she did OK in the year end exam but, to everyone's relief, she dropped to middle set for year 9 - if she hadn't I would have asked for her to be moved down. For my son, a natural mathematician who has always loved playing with numbers for fun, top set was perfect - after years of complaining that maths lessons were boring as the teachers kept repeating things they had already been taught he was going at the speed he wanted to and still coming at or near the top in tests. It's great for the right children but my daughter's confidence was knocked - she would have been far happier (and is now) being one of the better ones in middle set.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks everyone for info- am clueless not having studied in this country. I have now found out that Set 1 does take GCSE early and then goes on to do Advanced Maths. Why is this different from Higher Maths?