music aptitude

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

asldoc

music aptitude

Post by asldoc »

Does anyone have more information about what happens if you get through the first round for the music aptitude exam?
I read that students are asked to play their selected instrument for up to 3 minutes. Does anyone know if you can play accompanying music- or must you go solo? Also has anyone ever heard of someone playing the drums? Do you bring your own (takes some time to set up)...
Thank you in advance for any information!
Daogroupie

Re: music aptitude

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to tell us which school you are applying to. There are a number of schools in this area that offer music places and they all operate their auditions differently. My dds did the Watford Consortium and DAO. Watford is much more restrictive, you can only play one instrument or sing, you cannot bring your own accompanist, you have to use theirs and you only have three minutes. DAO gives you five minutes, you can bring your own accompanist or use theirs and you can do what you like with your five minutes. DG
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

One of the girls at my DD's school got a music place at WGSG playing the drums last year if that's any help?
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

Thank you daogroupie- I was talking about the Watford consortium. Based on what you wrote- you should pick a piece of music and someone will accompany you? So if my DD plays drums she will be accompanied by someone on the piano (or something)?
Can my dd just make up her own tune?
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

K1w1mum wrote:One of the girls at my DD's school got a music place at WGSG playing the drums last year if that's any help?
Can you tell us what your dd did for the performance?
Thank you!
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

I know somebody who would have been offered a place after playing the drums (went private instead) - I think they took a backing track. But best to ask. They're very welcoming and flexible, it's really not much like an exam at all.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is your choice if you want to have the piano accompany you. You will need to take music in for them if you do. You will have the chance to practice with them. I would recommend you do this as it gives them extra information about how hard the piece is if they see it in front of them. They will double dip and be one of the panel as well. DG
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

Thank you for the information everyone!
My DD has been working up a 3 minute drum piece that just shows the different beats she can do- so not a song. I am not sure if this will work- but may be too late to change now. We still haven't heard if she passed the first stage aptitude in any case :)
Reetu

Post by Reetu »

Can anybody tell me when we come to know about the results of 1st round of music test....and regarding the second round the child has to play only one piece or can join multiple together ...are the instruments made available there or we have to carry ...as playing on their own instrument is more comfortable...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You bring your own instrument and your own music and play one piece. You have a max of 3 mins. You can have somebody on the piano but you must bring separate music for them. You will be given a sheet to fill out before you go in for details of what you are going to play. DG