Bexley Selective Percentage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Garnett

Bexley Selective Percentage

Post by Garnett »

Could someone advise me of the percentage of grammar school places available in Bexley?
ie in Bucks it is the highest 30% of the cohort who pass.
Many thanks.
Garnett
Marylou

Re: Bexley Selective Percentage

Post by Marylou »

Incredible - I was just about to ask the same thing, Garnett! :lol:

I guess we've all been trying out the Bexley practice test ahead of the big day next week.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
Marylou
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

It is difficult to answer that question this year. In addition to the exam itself changing, Bexley has changed from "opt out" to "opt in" this year. According to information that Bexley parents have been sent, last year 4,900 children sat the exam and 1,411 passed. The number of grammar school places available in Bexley was 786 across the 4 grammar schools.

Unless your child went to a faith school they sat the exam unless you opted for them not to. This year you had to apply for your child to sit the exam so I expect this may have some bearing on the pass rate.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

Thank you for the info Mich895.

With only half of the successful Bexley children being offered a grammar school place, presumably they take the children with the highest scores - which would explain why Bucks did not provide the same practice paper.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

Marylou wrote:Incredible - I was just about to ask the same thing, Garnett!

I guess we've all been trying out the Bexley practice test ahead of the big day next week.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Incredible - I was just about to ask the same thing, Garnett! :lol:

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
Marylou - Funny that we were both thinking the same!
The quote 'great minds...' comes to mind!! :lol:
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi Garnett,

The way the system works in Bexley is that the children with the top 180 scores are offered a place at their 1st choice school. The remaining places are then offered according to the school's admission criteria which usually includes distance. So once the top 180 scores are taken into account the remaining scores do not matter, the child just needs to have passed and meet the relevant criteria.

Also some children that sit the Bexley test also sit the Kent tests so although more children passed that there were places for, does not mean any child necessarily missed out on a Grammar school place. I know of one child who got top 180 mark in 2012 who turned down his Bexley Grammar school place for one in Kent.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi,
Does anybody know how many children from out of Bexley got in last year? Where do we get those statistics?

Many thanks,
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

These were the figures from the September 2011 test:

'In total, 4862 children sat the tests, and 1394 have been deemed selective. 2454 of these children attend primary schools in Bexley, and 438 have been deemed selective'.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

One of the issues in Bexley is that those in the north of the borough are actually quiet a distance from the grammars, whereas those in parts of Greenwich (like us) and Bromley are actually much closer. The criteria are based on distance, not on which borough you live in, so we had would have gained a place at any of the 4 grammars last year, whereas I don't know about those north of the borough.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Of course, distance, not Borough. We are far, so, my son needs to be in the top 180!

Thanks for the info, Muggle.