How is everyone else getting on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

How is everyone else getting on?

Post by pixiequeen »

I have filled in the online form to register DD2 for the dreaded test, which she will sit at SHS. Now I am wishing we had started learning new vocab this time last year instead of leaving it all for the last four weeks....

DD2 is doing OK - we have done all the bright sparks tests, the first pack of GL Assessment, 6 of the Walsh, 2 of the GL Assessment pack 2 and quite a lot of the Tutors and all the IPS 30 mins tests (although not in that order). Her marks are OK - about the same as DD1 who passed well 3 years ago.

Still need to brush up on times tables, and do something about DD2's tendency to lose the plot if the questions get too difficult or she thinks she's running out of time.....We have tried deep breaths and counting to ten but she does it through gritted teeth so it doesn't have the desired effect! Throwing the pencil on the floor and shouting at her little sister seems to relieve the tension but I have explained that it might not be acceptable to do that in the real test :roll:

Any one got any good tips for keeping a lid on the panic during the test (for me or for DD2!) or anyone wish to share how they are getting on?

Good luck to you all.....only 29 days to go! :shock:

Pixiequeen
steppemum

Re: How is everyone else getting on?

Post by steppemum »

hi,
I am starting to feel the pressure, but trying not to pass it on to ds! He is our first and I second the wishing I had started with vocab earlier.

He has done quite a few timed tests over the holidays and that has really picked up his speed. He varies though between a score of around 70% to a score of 90% and it isn't the same types that throw him each time, so it will be a gamble on the day.

We have filled in the form, he is registered for Marling.
custard

Post by custard »

Feeling the pressure a bit here too. DS1 is doing pretty well but gets easily distracted. Hopefully there will be fewer distractions in the test. He needs to speed up a bit too. This is partly down to getting distracted but also because he's slow at mental arithmetic. I wish we'd worked a lot more on that earlier. He'll be taking the test at Crypt.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Dreading the next few weeks, it's come round far too quickly!!
:(
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

I am starting to get nervous now! DD2 not really stressed though, thank goodness. She's worked hard over the summer, mostly scoring 84 -92%, But then every so often scores a 60-70% for no good reason except lack of concentration, giving me palpitations! I have no idea how she'll do on the day as she does get distracted easily. She had mentioned she'd prefer to take the test in a room of people she doesn't know, as she may get distracted by what her friends are doing! Any on advice on how to tackle this?
It seems really quiet on this forum this time round, a couple of years ago when DD1 tool the test there was a lot more activity!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hello imustbecrazy,

Has your DD done a mock test in 'exam' surroundings? My DD2 has done 2 - the first one she got a pretty awful mark because there was a boy jangling a bell on his pencil...the second time she did much better because she knew she had to ignore anything going on around her. It was definitely worth the money. If you can't do that between now and the test - we also played a 'concentrating' game where we would sing/bang saucepans while my DD2 did colouring/copying out a story/actual work (starting with 30 seconds and working up to 5 mins not looking up or stopping work) so she could learn to ignore us!

Sounds like your DD is getting really good scores though, I wouldn't be too worried.

Funnily enough - my DD2 also asked if she could take the test in a room full of strangers, not with her friends! She is sitting at SHS and I might ring up and ask as I know it's normal policy to sit children from the same school together. We are a little concerned because one of her friends may take the test but hasn't done any real practice and is in bottom sets at school. I am worried this child might be horrified when she sees the paper and cry, which my DD2 will find extremely hard to ignore.

You're right it's quiet around here - I wonder if there are lots of lurkers who will show themselves after the dreaded thing is over :D
kikko4138

Post by kikko4138 »

Hello everyone.

I've started to feel somewhat puzzled after learning that my dd tends to do really well at the beginning of the practice paper and after she
reaches halfway she suddelnly keeps making a lot of mistakes. It could be lack of concentration due to her tendency of not having enough breakfast etc. She has a very variable scores of 89% to 64% (though the lowest test was one of the Walsh ) it does make me anxious.

Just can't wait when it is all over.
kikko4138

Post by kikko4138 »

Forgot to say that my dd also mentioned that she would prefer taking test in a different room from her friends in case they distract each other.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Pixiequeen my DD taking at SHS too. Was thinking of calling too! Haven't done any practice tests, are there any more before the exam now? Did have her do her test this afternoon with me vacuuming, washing up and dog barking, haven't marked it yet to see how she did.
We don't want Pates so hoping her scores will be enough as SHS is our 1st choice, in fact we prefer the comp after that than the other grammars!
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Just found a mock test for next Saturday at Gloucester museum, does anyone know if they are worth the money,as it is £50?