age standardisation of scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elizabethswan

age standardisation of scores

Post by elizabethswan »

I've asked this question before, but really struggle how to understand how the scores for the entrance exams are worked out from the raw scores of the children, all I've found to explain this is a really confusing graph! My daughter is 10yrs 2mths and just did the AGGS exam on Saturday and don't feel there's much hope as she didn't finish the maths or the VR paper. However she said the NVR paper was easy and she thinks she got them all right, she's particularly good at it, so I'm wondering if there's still some hope? I think the children need to achieve at least 75% to even have a hope of passing, could anyone shed any light on this?? Think I'm clutching at straws really but was hoping her age may give her a few per cent extra, but maybe the amount awarded due to her age will be minimal. Also does anyone know roughly when the results come out, would like to know when there will be an end to the torture! :?
Altymumof2

Re: age standardisation of scores

Post by Altymumof2 »

I have never been able to work out how the age standardisation works and neither has anyone I have asked! Last year the girls results came out 3 weeks on Monday after the exam and Loreto came out at a similar time. The boys took longer.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Not sure on this but I don't thing AGGS does any age standardisation it is only AGSB which does, this is my guess as last year September born girls got full marks(100%) in the entrance test. Which can never happen if age standardisation is applied to a cohort. It is worth checking with the AGGS school policy.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

thanks for the replies; I was just hoping she might get an extra couple of per cent which could make a difference, my other daughter didnt finish the papers either but she only missed by a couple of marks, she was born in January though, so I wondered if she'd been younger it would have made a small difference. I've been through this with two daughters and none passed so far- a bit soul destroying, although both doing really well at high schools in spite of not passing AGGS, so must try to stay positive. :)
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

Yes I agree jugglermum, it would be weird if they said it was easy! She gave really detailed feedback about the exam, unfortunately she went to the toilet 3 times(!!)during the test so obviously that wont have helped!! According to my rubbish calculations if she got 100% in the NVR as she seems to think, and maybe 60% on each of the other papers that makes a mean score of 73.33333(etc) per cent. And then maybe if she got 3-4% extra for her age she maybe could get a score of about 78%; so if the group average is quite low maybe she's in with a chance. I was up all night trying to convince myself of this!! :lol:
Dids

Post by Dids »

Age standardization does not mean that a child who is younger than the average automatically receives extra marks! once the exam has taken place all of the marks scored are compared against the ages of the pupils. If it is clear that the older pupils have scored significantly better than the younger pupils, then an age related weighting is applied to the marks of the younger pupils.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It's not automatic - but it would be unusual in a test where candidates will range between 10 and 11 years old for the results not to show a slight difference in favour of the older ones. So most of the time there will be an adjustment in areas which use age standardisation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now