CHB questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bamboo

CHB questions

Post by Bamboo »

I'm new here. Thanks for all the mountain of info and support you have given me from reading your posts.

Two questions please...

1. Please can you point me in the direction of the historic (or even recent!) opinion on CHB v KES? There is many quotes of 'lets not start this debate again', but that debate is what I AM interested in, and would value people's opinions. Where are the appropriate threads?

2. I'm sure I heard that CHB is increasing it's intake in 2014... cannot remember where I heard that, and cannot seem to be able to confirm / dismiss it. I expect you guys can set me straight?

Many thanks.
mike1880

Re: CHB questions

Post by mike1880 »

You can find the 2014 PAN for all schools on the B'ham LEA website, they still state 93 for CHB. (If you've seen the school you might well suspect as I do that they probably can't increase numbers without an enormous building programme.)
um

Post by um »

My ds1 is convinced that a teacher has told him that KECHB will expand by one class.
Apparently they do have a few spare classrooms and could build more.
They want to expand as the extra funding could allow the school to do/provide a lot more.

I did overhear the KE Handsworth Head say to another parent that their school was going to almost certainly expand by a class in time for the 2014 cohort.
And there was a building program underway when we visited.
I asked the KECHG Head if they would also expand but she didn't confirm anything.
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

The girl's school already has an extra class compared to the boy's scool. That is why the score in is lower for the girls.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Does this blissful news mean the boys' score could also go down?
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

PAN on the school's website and docs also 93. Maybe this is exciting news for 2015 :?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

A few spare classrooms wouldn't cut it though I don't think um. Expanding the intake without knowing where to put the extra boys in future years would be a huge gamble, there needs to be spare capacity down the line for subsequent years, and extra teachers. That all means money; KE Handsworth and Sutton girls both obtained ACMF funding this year, none of the other grammars did.

Mike
KenR

Post by KenR »

If you check the KE Foundation Governors last annual report there is no mention of building works at KECHB - all KE building works is handled as a KE foundation investment - the school has to get the funding approved

http://www.kingedwardsfoundation.co.uk/ ... t-2012.pdf
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The report tends to be retrospective, but there's nothing relating to CHB in news items either. And as I said, there's no government money in the pipeline this year either.

(And blimey, Google is quick off the mark these days. I went to search for what H/worth had got their money for and my own post from a couple of hours ago came up as second result :shock: )

Mike
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Thanks folks. I really appreciate your help. I guess I am just going to have to go to the Open Day this Friday and ask the question to the horse's mouth! I was not going to go, as we have been before, and were impressed enough that if DS does amazingly well we are going to put it top of our preference list. A big ask of DS though... I wondered if the threshold would go down with a larger intake! (I will feed back here on whatever reply I get)

I also hold a glimmer of a hope of a KES scholarship (yeah, I know, we all do!) and was interested in people's opinions on the two schools. I gather this has been discussed on here before? I don't want to count ANY chickens before they hatch, but wanted to be prepared should both dreams come true :wink:

Can somebody point me in the direction of threads where this had been discussed before please? I cannot find it, but don't want to ask you all to repeat what has been said before.

Thanks again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now