Exam in 2 wks, not done much prep...advice would be lovely!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wishusluck

Exam in 2 wks, not done much prep...advice would be lovely!!

Post by Wishusluck »

Hello. How I wish I had found this a is year ago. :cry: My DS is due to do the 11+ in 2 weeks. I only found out PROPERLY about what the exam entails recently while talking to a fellow mum. I just assumed it was like the stuff they do in school as I don't (well didn't until I found this site!) know much about it all as he is my first child, busy mum of lot's of children and run a business and non of my close friends were doing the Grammar school route or so I thought!! I was quite happy with the local secondary until they had their recent Ofsted AND my son went on a trial day and hated it as it is massive. Getting on for 2000 pupils :( I have since found out lot's of boys (including friends children) in his class are doing it the 11+ test to get into the brilliant local grammar school!

He has had a tutor for a while but she was not tutoring him for the 11+, just his weak areas in general. There was total confusion as she didn't know he was going to take the exam so I am now panicking! I did order the books Maths and verbal, non verbal reasoning only recently but never got the English as I thought I had ordered it...and it's his weaker subject. He is a brightish boy I think (4a's and 5b in year 5) but not great at exams although we have been using the Bond books but the exam will be multiple choice.

Any tips which could help for the last few weeks? Anyone got any multiple choice paper tips as we haven't even seen the layout. I'm assuming they are easy to answer with the boxes clearly in line?

Anyone want to make me feel better and say their child didn't do much revision and passed?!!! Wishful thinking. I am kicking myself. ANY tips/ advice would be amazing ****
Okanagan

Re: Exam in 2 wks, not done much prep...advice would be love

Post by Okanagan »

First of all which area are you in? We can offer more specific advice if we know which exam we're talking about, as they vary a lot from area to area.
Wishusluck

Post by Wishusluck »

It's for Reading Boys
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Thread moved to the Berkshire section

I'm sure someone local will be along soon, but the good news is that:
1 - it's all multiple choice
2 - the Reading exam focuses on KS2 maths and English, so those will generally be what has already been covered at school/with your tutor, plus a mixed reasoning paper.

Have a look at this thread plus this one and this one. I'm sure there is more information on the Berkshire forum if you read back through some of the past threads.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Welcome to the Forum Wishusluck!

It would be a good idea to purchase the GL Multiple choice packs 1 & 2 for each of the 4 subjects, and work through these if
you can before the tests.

It may be a big ask as you will need to go through 8 tests per subject; English, Maths, VR & NVR between now and the 1st Oct.

These will however give the closest test experience and level to the actual 11+.

If both packs would be too much, definitely at least work through pack 1 for all four subjects.

Good Luck

Bw
Wishusluck

Post by Wishusluck »

Thank you. I have ordered the variety pack as it has a test in each and the English ones 1&2 as it's his weaker subject. Has any one done used the Bond books only for multiple choice test and was this an advantage or disadvantage?

I really am not confident he will pass. Do they do re-takes? I know they can do the 13+ but think they would be fairly settled in another school by then.

What did everyone's children get in their mock Sats tests for Year 5? Do any average boys try and get into Reading Boys? I have heard it is super hard to get into so I am now panicking even more!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now