relationship between purchased papers and the real thing

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
leamac

relationship between purchased papers and the real thing

Post by leamac »

Hi, im new to this site and have found some really useful informaiton which i really appreciate so thank you all.

my question is this. how much resemblence is there between the practice papers that we buy off the shelf and the real thing. and which practice papers are more reliable in terms of ability and scoring.

my son is currently sc :? oring 95+ on some papers but only 80+ on others. the papers appear to have the differnt question types depending on who writes them and are pitched at different levels.

common sense tells me to use the harder papers for practice but what if they are the wrong types of questions.

has anyone tutored their own child and had them pass? if so what material did you use.

i would really appreciate any responses.

many thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi I tutored my son myself and used all the free papers on this site, to gain an idea of different question types. I also purchased Bond Assessment papers from 9-10 onwards. 9-10 used during year 5, 10-11 used during summer holidays and up to 1/2 term in October. Then the 10-11+ multile choice papers one a day for the 2 weeks before the test. If my son showed weakness towards a particular question type (which he did) I made some of my own examples to practise over and over. This method worked for us. Good Luck.

Post by Guest »

Where do you live? Some LEAs use only verbal reasoning (eg Bucks) whereas others use verbal and non-verbal. Others take a Maths and English paper. Its important to find out as you could be covering unnecessary topics.
leamac

Post by leamac »

thanks for your responses its comforting to know that other people are going through the same thing.

Congratulations on your childing passing it must be such a relief.What scores wwas your child achieving consistently on the test papers and what score did they actually acheive on the day?

in our area we are taking verbal and non verbal only. wish he was taking Maths he's consistently around the 97% mark on all papers for that. its the verbal reasoning that is inconsistent really. he goes from 97% to 79% without any pattern or reason.
when this happens I wonder whether i should enter him at all and whether the pressure is getting too much for him.

i read on the Athey site that if your child is consistently acheiving above 80% on their papers your child should get in. is this your experience?

has anyone used just the Athey papers and been successful?

thanks again for all your help

Post by Guest »

For two years up to the exam, we used Bond, RA Johnson and NFA Publishing, Maths, English, VR and NVR.

My daughter found the question types very similar to those set in the Kent 11+ this January '05.

The grades your child is getting are very good already and you should keep going. My daughter's grades in the actual exam came out better than the practices even though she found some of the exams hard. They have a complicated method of marking!

Good luck.