Higher Maths, Advanced Maths and Further Maths, please help

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
modernista

Higher Maths, Advanced Maths and Further Maths, please help

Post by modernista »

My head is in a spin. I believe all sets in my DDs GS are doing Higher Maths. The top set will do GCSE early if they are ready. Then do they do no maths, advanced or further?
mystery

Re: Higher Maths, Advanced Maths and Further Maths, please h

Post by mystery »

Ask the school. Or isn't it on their website in some curriculum document or other?
modernista

Post by modernista »

Have done both. No reply and no document on website.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Well, they will have to do some maths until the end of y11. But different schools handle it in different ways (e.g. FSMQ, Statistics GCSE, AS modules, etc), so it's unlikely that anyone here can give you an exact answer. It's persevere with the school, I'm afraid :)
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks it helps to know that there is no one standard route. I will contact Maths teacher.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

There could be several options.

They may do AS maths in year 11, along with the other GCSE. Or it could be doing Further maths GCSE.

In year 11, I do know of someone doing further maths GCSE along with ordinary Maths GCSE.

Not sure the advantage of either. How responsive is the school? Perhaps they can advise.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The maths teacher or head of maths should be able to tell you ..... Hopefully they know!
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks everyone, I like to sound not entirely clueless when I talk to teachers and this helps.

Potterfan, what do you mean by 'other GCSE'. I am assuming they will finish a 'Further maths' GCSE in Year 10. So they can begin the AS maths which people do in Year 12 onwards normally? I thought the idea of finishing GCSEs early was to be able to have the time to do the million other GCSEs in Year 11.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think the reasons vary from school to school. It could be to:

- allow higher maths study the following year at AS level
- reduce work load the following year
- allow a different maths GCSE to be done the following year
- allow resits to improve grades (not sure if this is still permitted)
etc etc

but your DD should certainly not be left with a year without a good amount of maths teaching whatever the reasoning at your school.

Also if your DD is good at maths I feel you should be aiming for A* at GCSE in some shape or form and make sure this is being planned for.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks mystery, she has so far cruised with minimum help but things may be ramping up. Her textbook says "Higher Maths". Is this a different GCSE to Standard maths or just a higher level of learning to tackle the standard GCSE? Have struggled to find this info at education.gov.uk type websites. These are such basic things that I really want to discuss more specific things with the Maths Head as you suggested. I will definitely 'encourage' her to carry Maths through esp she seems to be more inclined toward languages and social sciences.
I am able to help her but so far this has been on a 'needs' basis. I wait for her to ask for help. And this has worked so far. The response I get from Maths teachers is always- she will be fine! I just know what their aspirations for her are and what the options are.