Sweets After School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Sweets After School

Post by countrymum »

DD seems to have got into bit of a habit of visiting the sweet shop on her way home and buying chocolate bar/sweets. Everyone in her little group seem to be doing the same but I'd rather she didn't. I'm bit of stickler in her looking after teeth and also the best part of a pound spent everyday is an extra cost I could do without. Obviously she needs a small amount of money with her and she got a bit stroppy when I mentioned I didn't want her spending it on sweets after school - her reply was 'but everyone else does' :roll:

Any suggestions - I know I loved a little treat after school but its different when it involves your own. Am I being a bit mean/strict?
KS10

Re: Sweets After School

Post by KS10 »

I don't like it much either, but as long as it's not a daily occurrence I'll cope. Mine have packed lunches so I've also said that lunch will become incredibly boring if they feel the need to have chocolate after school as well. I don't check too carefully though, because we already have a number of rules and I want them to feel that they're getting away with something now and again.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks - yes I agree with you, every so often I can probably cope with but it does seem thus far to be an every day occurrence. She has packed lunches - maybe an extra healthy- ish treat could be popped in for after school.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Chop up some nice fresh vegetables and put them in a special little pot with her name on. When her friends go to the sweetshop, your DD can get out the pot, tuck into a delicious slice of celery or a crunchy carrot stick and tell her friends how much healthier this is. That way she won't feel as if she is missing out, and she might even persuade her friends that bits of green pepper are so much nicer than those nasty sticky sweets.

On the other hand... :wink:

(And my OH is a dentist too!)
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Ha ha Amber - :lol: Do think she'll go for it :wink:

Pah! When does it become cool to not do what everyone else does?

Answers on a postcard please
tense

Post by tense »

Has your DD just started secondary school? If so, I would guess that going to the sweet shop is a novelty at the moment.

Hopefully it will wear off - but I wouldn't fund it in the meantime. The money you give her should be for emergencies (or lunch/drinks if your school still uses cash). Tell her to use her own money :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Yes she has - hope like you say is a novelty and may wear off as time goes on.

As for the funding - she doesn't really have her own money - does this now mean I should be dishing out pocket money? Blimey this parenting lark is a costly affair :lol:
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I think I might be very much a minority opinion on this one, but I do think people get too hung up on the healthy diet 'no sweet' rule thing, to the point that I know quite a few weight obsessed people, who have in turn, inflicted their 'obsession' on their kids. As children, I was pretty much given free reign on what we could have, and I have always eaten what I want, when I want, and I don't really think about it. I have always been thin, and so have my siblings. And equally, I am mid 40's and have never had a filling. I do likewise with my children, if they want a chocolate bar, they can have it. Not having set times, or treating them as 'special treats', reduces the magical appeal, somehow. Some days they don't want any, but when they do, they have one! It is better to allow ourselves to be guided by appetite and self-awareness, rather than have somebody impose restrictions on our behalf. My daughter had a friend who was very overweight, as was her mother, and they all lived by a strict no-sweets, carrots in the lunch box rule. And one day when she came to our house, she scoffed an entire box of chocolate rolls, devouring them like she hadn't eaten for a month. My daughter was shocked, she eats chocolate when she wants, and because she can, she has no desire to sneak a bar or twelve when nobody is looking! :lol: Moderation is my motto. The more you can't have something, the more it is wanted. :)
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

My DD gets £5 a week allowance (she has packed lunches) she can use this to buy whatever she wants but gets no more. The sweets soon went in favour of saving money for something more worthwhile like mandarin lip balm. Its amazing how when she says she wants something and I say pay for it yourself its appeal often lessens significantly.
:wink:
Last edited by CarpeDiem on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Totally see your point mm23293 - I think ultimately I would prefer her to spend my money on more worthwhile things though I shall definitely consider the pocket money thing and at least then may give her a sense of independence and she can choose to spend as she likes.

I have had a VERY sweet tooth since childhood and she sees me scoffing all sorts of unhealthy 'treats' and she also sees that I have paid for it with my collection of attractive fillings. She is due some orthodontic work so guess am just wanting to instill the healthy teeth thing. Yes I see those who are 'deprived' then may go on to binge etc and I certainly would not wish for that. Moderation is indeed the key - :)

CarpeDiem out of interest does she have to do any 'chores' for that £5 or just given?

Thanks for everyone's input
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now