Reading School/ Reading Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fenjamin

Reading School/ Reading Boys

Post by Fenjamin »

Hi, as a Mum of a current year 5 working toward the test for Oct '14 I'm really interested to know if the forum can tell me what the lowest mark achieved was for entry into Sept 13?
My son looks like he's currently in the 340's combined score - I'd really like to know if we're on track or miles away!

Thanks
earleymom

Re: Reading School/ Reading Boys

Post by earleymom »

Hi Fenjamin

Just out of interest, how do you know your DS's combined score is in 340's ?
Wishusluck

Post by Wishusluck »

Yes, I'd love to know this too as I can't seem to find any info about what they actually needed to pass last year although my son is doing it this year! eekk
Fenjamin

Post by Fenjamin »

My son has done Nfer tests at school for maths English and reasoning (while in yr 4), so combined the three? I do know not all schools do these tests or give the results to the parents but its a useful starting point I think?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Fenjamin wrote:My son has done Nfer tests at school for maths English and reasoning (while in yr 4), so combined the three? I do know not all schools do these tests or give the results to the parents but its a useful starting point I think?
You can't really compare test scores done at school and the reading test.

The tests done at school will be standardised against the whole cohort taking then, including the whole ability range.

The reading boys test will be standardised against just those taking the exam, which will be on average a higher ability cohort.

In short your son could do exactly the same test and get exactly the same raw score but the standardised score will depend on what everyone else got.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Also, I don't think Reading use nfer (now GL?), but set their own. I'd imagine like Kendrick that your want to be aiming for 90%+, but seeing as last year was the first year anyone ever got any scores, no one has much idea in reality :-)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Fenjamin wrote:My son has done Nfer tests at school for maths English and reasoning (while in yr 4), so combined the three? I do know not all schools do these tests or give the results to the parents but its a useful starting point I think?
Welcome to the Forum Fenjamin :D

Just to add, the reasoning tests done in yr3, 4 and 5 at primary school are age specific. So the level of the questions would be geared towards children of that age group. The 11+ is for children 10/11 yrs old and as has been already mentioned measured against the cohort sitting the test that year. On average you're looking at between 550 - 650 boys trying for the 100 places. Although this seems a lot, it is better odds than the Slough or London grammars (Tiffins springs to mind) that have upward of 1600 trying for places at one grammar.

Whilst your sons scores are good, keep in mind the questions will get harder the older they are.

Bw
Fenjamin

Post by Fenjamin »

Thanks for all the good advice, it's so hard to gauge where he's at as in a tiny cohort at school!

I'd still love to know the lowest score offered to for this academic year if anyone on the forum knows? (Would be useful as a barometer, though of course I realise it can fluctuate according to the standard that year)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This might be a start.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=28906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last years scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now