KES Opinion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shakey

KES Opinion

Post by shakey »

Can anyone whose DS already attends give honest opinions on KES? Usual stuff: pastoral, competitiveness, teacher-pupil relationship, etc etc.
Thanks
serendippyty

Re: KES Opinion

Post by serendippyty »

My son goes, happy to answer any questions!

It is very traditional and quite set in its ways. If your child likes structure then it works very well. They have high expectations and that is why they get the results I suppose!

The site is small, so the school is small. That can be a positive and a negative. They struggle to expand and create new classrooms and fit in new technology I guess but with technology getting smaller, maybe not an issue!

Music is strong, sport is strong. If you like rugby, you will love KES! They do well in fencing too and other sports. The have a good drama department and have links with the RSC.

Lots of alpha males, it feels affluent and very public school despite being a grammar. Trips are pricey and there is a residential every year.

A mix of staff, some young, some not so young, male and female. I really like most of the staff and find them approachable.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Thanks for the informative reply :)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Not a parent (yet!?) but we went the open day in June, and it was after this that DS decided he wanted to do the 11+. We got a really good impression from the morning - boys smart and helpful; teachers approachable and enthusiastic. DH went in as a definite 'no', but had changed his mind after the visit. He still has reservations about the all boy environment (as he attended an all boys school himself) but is more open to the idea now, depending on DS's score next month.

I also have heard only good things from other local moms with boys already there.

HTH,

JD
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

son just started at KES this year. He is really enjoying it - so far........

Facilities: some very good, some not so great - A bit tired in places, but it isn't the facilities that we chose, it was the ethos.

Pastoral: the Headmaster says he wants boys to be happy and successful in that order. that seems to permeate the school. A large proportion of the Year 7 evening at the end of last term and the beginning of this was based around pastoral care. Seems excellent and all staff seem to be on the same page.

Music: very good and positive. A rich musical school. It is certainly better than my own musical education. All year 7s have a free terms' instrumental tuition. This is great and most take it up. The more advanced players are invited to more demanding ensembles, but there is something for every ability.

Parental involvement: three Parents groups, general, sport and art/performance. All with very committed and enthusiastic parents. It adds a lot to the school.

Trips: They aren't cheap, but as a big fan of education outside the classroom, I am happy to pay. For those with genuine financial hardship, the headmaster has discretion to support less financially well-off children so no-one misses out. I believe this is really positive.

voluntary contributions: the school asks for voluntary contributions of, I think £1 a day: ie. £365 p.a. to pay for the extras. These benefit all the boys in the school, without which from a large proportion of parents I doubt it could effectively offer a quasi-private education in the state sector.

Sport: very rugby biased. Two terms of rugby, no football in Yr 7. Matches tend to be against other grammar schools and private schools.

Extra-curricula activities: a wealth of opportunities. Don't expect to see your son immediately after 4 p.m. due to the other opportunities - all boys are encouraged to participate.

Overall: we are very pleased. Getting to and from school by public transport is pat of growing up and becoming independent!

I hope this helps.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

DD has just started in the sixth form (DD not DS!) so our experience is rather different from a Year 7s, but a couple of the things I've noticed so far are:

1 - serendippyty's comment "very public school" strikes a chord - with things like hymns sung at assemblies and an afternoon of sport during the week.

2 - All Year 7s have access to a Year 12 mentor, so have the chance to chat to someone on the pastoral side who isn't a teacher. The young mentors have training for the role.

3 - DD has commented on the overt competitiveness, which suits her but might not suit everyone.
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

My DS has just started KES and I can't add much more to what serendippyty or ChilledDad have said as they have hit the nail on the head; however this is from the perspective of a DS who is not sports mad!

DS is very academic but struggles with his coordination and is hypersensitive to many external stimuli. He has never enjoyed team sports and we struggle to find ways to keep his fitness levels up. DS loved the school from first sight and we believed it fitted his character like a glove. We were, however, worried how he would deal with the sports, especially the rugby, but so far so good. The rugby teams have 4 different levels and he has been placed into the lowest level team, which is fine with him. He is still expected to take part but they seem to manage those who are not sports minded successfully without damaging their self-esteem. DS is no longer dreading PE and games like he was initially and we are very pleased with how he is being looked after.

Meanwhile, being thrown in the deep end with bus journeys, adjusting to a level of independence & freedom he's never had and having to manage his workload, is helping him to grow up (as ChilledDad said), as well as allaying our fears. DS is tired but very happy & very proud to be there: we can't ask any more than that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now