Practicalities - marking of Herts 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pinkboots

Practicalities - marking of Herts 11 plus

Post by pinkboots »

Can anyone please tell me whether the Herts 11 plus exam is marked electronically? My son has quite messy writing & I'm anxious that his letters / numbers aren't always as clear as they should be & he might unnecessarily lose marks - I am trying to help him improve!

Also, on the day of the test, are the children given scrap paper to use? My son scrawls all over his practice papers....

Many thanks.
WP

Re: Practicalities - marking of Herts 11 plus

Post by WP »

pinkboots wrote:Can anyone please tell me whether the Herts 11 plus exam is marked electronically? My son has quite messy writing & I'm anxious that his letters / numbers aren't always as clear as they should be & he might unnecessarily lose marks - I am trying to help him improve!

Also, on the day of the test, are the children given scrap paper to use? My son scrawls all over his practice papers....
I don't think it could possibly be marked electronically, as they write the answers on the sheets. He will indeed have to work on writing clear answers. However he could just write in capital letters: all the answers are just letters and numbers.

My son's recollection is that there was no scrap paper last year.
richie

11 + at Parmiters school

Post by richie »

My son is due to take the test in Nov so i need to understand the logistics behind answering a question...

Are they given a blank piece of paper so they can write the question number and answer or a computer printed answer sheet in which they merely tick, bold line or x, etc in the relevant answer box...

I really hope someone can advise so i can gear him up with what to expect. I think this is half the battle. If he is aware of what structure is in place and is FAMILIAR then we are good to go...

Please let me know about this and anything else that may be of value...

A concerned and stressed DAD
richie

11 + at Parmiters school

Post by richie »

just another thought...I think the exams must be marked electronically via an prepared answer sheet. They have go through approx 80 questions in an hr...This is a tall order for anyone so i think the most efficient way would be for the pupils to just tick the right (we hope) box on answer sheet... this method would then allow them to tackle the next question without delay...

Let me know you thoughts!!!
WP

Re: 11 + at Parmiters school

Post by WP »

richie wrote:My son is due to take the test in Nov so i need to understand the logistics behind answering a question...

Are they given a blank piece of paper so they can write the question number and answer or a computer printed answer sheet in which they merely tick, bold line or x, etc in the relevant answer box...
The papers are standard format: they have to write words or numbers. Last year the question booklets had a box for each question in which to write the answer. There was no other paper. They were told that anything they wrote outside the box would be ignored, so they could do working elsewhere on the page.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now