Exceptional circumstances for missing exam on 21st

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
District9Mum

Exceptional circumstances for missing exam on 21st

Post by District9Mum »

Can anyone clarify what the "exceptional circumstances" are for deferring the exam from the 21st to the 30th?
djy76

Re: Exceptional circumstances for missing exam on 21st

Post by djy76 »

Hi District9Mum,

Welcome to the board, one of the most used 'exceptional circumstances' is sickness. In fact CSSE would rather your DC did not take the test when they are ill. From what I understand a significant question at appeal, if test is sat on 21st and DC is poorly, is why did you not defer?

There are others agreed by CSSE I believe..

djy
bravado

Post by bravado »

Religious grounds may also be a consideration. The site mentions other exception circumstances and urges parents to call to discuss any matters.

Anyone in any doubt should give CSSE a call and clarify the situation on 01245 348257
District9Mum

Post by District9Mum »

Thank you Bravado and DJY76.

Do you know if clash with an aptitude test for another school (non grammar) would be classified as exceptional circumstances?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would not have thought so
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ever year there are odd clashes of tests and sometimes kids sit 2 in a day (some have more than one sitting) or they sit the reserve date.

Usually have to sort it out with the schools beforehand.

I don't think kids should miss out on the opportunity to try for a school they would like to go to just because the diary gets so full at this time of year.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Best thing to do is give CSSE a call.

One thing I cant understand, you gave priority to an aptitude test over a grammer school selection test. So is a grammer "plan B" for you.
District9Mum

Post by District9Mum »

Hi HopefulDad-

My DC sat the CSSE papers on the 21st. I am only enquiring as it has come to my attention that another child from my DC's school is sitting the test on the 30th. The child was not ill from school in the lead up to the exam on Saturday and it has since come to my attention that they sat an aptitude test test for a non-grammar in the morning.

I wouldn't have thought that the CSSE would play second fiddle to such aptitude tests, and I'm not convinced of complete transparency.

Any advice greatly received
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Hi D9M

Thought you were enquiring for yourself.
I can only second guess, that they arranged this beforehand and CSSE do try and accomodate.
I do believe the papers are different, so the only "percieved advantage" is they get more time.

HD
District9Mum

Post by District9Mum »

Hi HD,

Sorry for the confusion!

I am reassured to hear that you think the papers are different, but confused as a moderator for Essex "stickied" a thread to remind users not to discuss the papers until after the alternative date.

The perceived advantages, in my mind, would be threefold:
1) an extra week prep, with the potential disclosure of the English Paper text (if papers are the same)
2) a smaller cohort sitting the exam so less intimidating for candidate
3) a morning sitting

As you know, a few marks can differentiate significantly!

I have my doubts that parents of said child have acted fairly. Mostly though, I feel sad for the DC.