Do you have any idea what your child is learning in maths?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Do you have any idea what your child is learning in maths?

Post by mystery »

I don't.

The exercise books are hidden away somewhere, the homework is from the Schofield and Sims mental arithmetic series, a percentage of the lessons are done on wipe-off boards and wiped away, and my child when asked tells me something mysterious like "the ladder method". Is this something to do with the teacher's tights?

If you ask a teacher you get an answer like "year X " work, or you get shown the school maths policy which does not tell you what your child is doing this year, this term, this month or this week. The class newsletter says "this term we are covering all aspects of maths".

Is it like this everywhere and I am just weird wondering?
MadHatter

Re: Do you have any idea what your child is learning in math

Post by MadHatter »

You're not alone, it's the same at ours. Highly frustrating, especially for a control freak like me :lol:
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Just come from a curriculum meeting and still not sure what they are doing in any subjects!!!!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

guest201 wrote:Just come from a curriculum meeting and still not sure what they are doing in any subjects!!!!!
Are you the head?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012 ... ion/2/made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By law the school must include on its website:

7. The following information about the school curriculum—

(a)in relation to each academic year, the content of the curriculum followed by the school for each subject and details as to how additional information relating to the curriculum may be obtained;

(b)in relation to key stage 1, the names of any phonics or reading schemes in operation; and

(c)in relation to key stage 4—

(i)a list of the courses provided which lead to a GCSE qualification,

(ii)a list of other courses offered at key stage 4 and the qualifications that may be acquired.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Gosh! I think most primary schools ignore that don't they?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We get invited into school at regular intervals to 'come and share' in a maths lessons, amongst others. Last year's year 5 maths morning gave me a headache (we started with 5 mental maths chains!) but I was determined not to be beaten by my ten-year-old :lol:

JD
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

My Y6 is doing fractions (we get to see the maths book every week when the homework comes home). My Y8 is doing negative numbers - her homework is a mixture of written exercise from her textbook and MyMaths on the computer. My Y2 also brings home maths homework which this week involved doubling numbers on a worksheet.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Year 12 DS1: AS Maths stuff, some of it concerning Statistics.
Year 8 DD: more algebra...
Year 6 DS1: "Subtraction. I think" ("What, it could actually be addition but you've been doing it backwards???). This is the child who spent year 5 doing maths with a year 7 class. Possibly he is more certain about what he is doing when it is algebra. N.B. I really don't remember spending so much of my life in UIII /LIV finding the value of x ...
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Guest55, when did this requirement for the website become law? I can't find a single primary school in our area who is doing this. I hope this is something OFSTED would check on, they have all currently got an outstanding. DG