Wghs standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Handbags

Wghs standardised scores

Post by Handbags »

Hi
my daughter received a standardised score of 312, everyone I speak to seems to have scored 335 or significantly above,(345, 355, 371 373) with so many letters going out from WGHS saying 'strongly advise' are we actually likely to gain a place?

I am concerned if we do list it as our first choice and not get in, we will miss out on our local school as that is over subscribed too.

Any advice would be appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Wghs standardised scores

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome handbags!

You can still put WGHS first - if you are not eligible for a place then the school will be discarded from your list and your second school will effectively be your first and you will be considered alongside other applicants according to the admission criteria
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Given that last year the lowest score to get a place at WGHS was 297 then 312 is still well above that.

You lose nothing by applying, and you don't risk a place at your local school, as long as you put it down on your application form.

If you put WGHS first, and 312 is a high enough score, you get a place there.
If 312 isn't a high enough score you will then be considered for your second choice, just as if you had never listed WGHS as a preference. So if you put you local school 2nd you will have just as much chance of a place there as if you had placed it first. The only problem would be if it is oversubscribed as a result of too many applicants from within it's catchment area (assuming that you are in catchment), in which case you would need to consult the admissions policy to see how they differentiate.
Handbags

Post by Handbags »

Thanks for your comments
you mention 312 is well above, last years 297. So would every point make a difference?

Do you think we do stand a chance? You seem to know so much about this, so I am grateful for any feedback
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Yes they all help. The admissions process is to simply* arrange the applicants in order - highest score first - and count down to the point where they've offered all the places (with a bit of shuffling if there are several people on the same score at the cutoff point). So the higher the score, the higher you are up the list, and the higher your chances.

*It's actually a bit more complicated that so if somebody puts another school (say one of the Birmingham ones) higher but then doesn't get a place there, they are slotted in at the point appropriate to their score. But it's still higher score = higher chance.
plzhelp

Post by plzhelp »

I wouldn't worry too much I don't think you know how well you're daughter has done. And I am sure she will thrive wherever she goes :D
Handbags

Post by Handbags »

Thanks okanagan
Could you clarify for me please?
Last years places was rankings based so if you were ranked 'x' and there were y number of places within the school you knew where you would be on the 'list' and your chance of a place...

However this year, if a standardised score is e.g 310 and 40 children could have attained the same mark then how does it equate that if the last years entry was e.g. 297 then you are strongly advised to state this as a preference on caf... Surely it's only a likely offer of a place, if you are significantly above the last years score!......

Have I misunderstood? Am I missing any important info.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

This year for the first time the Wolverhampton/Walsall exam was before the summer holidays, and one of the consequences of this was that probably a bigger proportion of those who took it were only using it as a mock for the Birmingham exams, or as a fallback position in case they didn't get the Birmingham scores they'd hope for.

Therefore giving a ranking this year would probably have been misleading as there would be more ranked candidates who didn't really want places at the school. Hence the switch to reporting standardised scores, which tend to remain more consistent than rankings do. Once the people who don't really want a Wolverhampton place have been removed from the equation, the remaining group who actually want a Wolverhampton place will thus be more comparable year on year by looking at scores rather than rankings.

The advice in the letter as to whether to apply should be your guideline. Rankings of x were only really useful if they were within the number of places available. However there are always those who opt for other schools, the private sector, or just move out of the area, so places were always offered to those ranked lower than the number of places available.
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

Thank you Okanagan!!! That information was really clearly explained and very helpful. :D
Daffodil3969

Post by Daffodil3969 »

Can I ask then, did everyone receive one of two letter options, namely either (loosely), based on your standardised score we strongly advise you to apply or the letter advising you not to apply?

I wonder whether anyone received a letter that wasn't one of those options? For example, if you were near the cut off, with the phrase "you MAY wish to apply" rather than the strongly encourage letter?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now