Is the 11+ Numerical Reasoning Book 1 any good?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Is the 11+ Numerical Reasoning Book 1 any good?

Post by Optimist »

I have just ordered the First Past the Post publication, "11+ Numerical Reasoning Book 1". Has anyone used it? Is it any good as preparation for the Numerical Reasoning section of the KEGS Grammar School entrance exam? Thanks.
um

Re: Is the 11+ Numerical Reasoning Book 1 any good?

Post by um »

I like the book but to be completely honest, I think it would be good to use earlier on in Year 5. It seemed a little easy for use now, just before the exam.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Um, what would you recommend over this one for someone just before the exam (Mid-sept) who still is a little slow in shorter NR questions?
um

Post by um »

I wish I could help but Maths/NVR is just not my department! Since no-one else has replied I thought I'd better explain that.

All I know is that, I ordered the book for my dd to practise with, but she said it was much easier than the work she has been doing over the past term at school/with her tutor and so I'm afraid it's remained unused. As you've ordered it, I suggest you have a try and see how things pan out. If your child is getting 85% plus it may be too low a level for them right now.
Making mistakes is the way to go, not getting them all right!....in fact I have a small poster that says, 'I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more'

For speeding up general number-crunching skills, there are a lot of apps/websites that help; my 6 year old uses Anzan which is simple but good.
mashk

Post by mashk »

Hi Um,

I don't suppose you can list the apps and websites you're using?

My 2nd DS is unfortunately a bit weak when it comes to Maths, he's just started Year 5 and I've just started preparing him for the 11 plus. This Anzan sounds intriguing. However googling, brings up a myriad of sites, I've had a look but I can't seem to get my head round how it works.
um

Post by um »

I'm not suggesting Anzan for 11 Plus work and my older children had not used it, but my 6 year old uses it (primarily to keep him quiet while I make dinner :roll: ).
He has been taught the Japanese calculator method and uses this (in his mind).

Anzan will flash up a series of numbers in quick succession, e.g 5.9.2.4.7. Then you input the answer. That's all it is. He enjoys this and can usually go faster at it than his older siblings. Maybe because he is autistic, he loves calculating and is obsessed with his times tables at the moment :D .

You can get the Anzan app on Google Play. You can set different levels, such as using 2 or 3 digit numbers too and having them go slower or faster.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Optimist wrote:I have just ordered the First Past the Post publication, "11+ Numerical Reasoning Book 1". Has anyone used it? Is it any good as preparation for the Numerical Reasoning section of the KEGS Grammar School entrance exam? Thanks.
I can now answer my own question. It's a "no".
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks for the update Optimist :D : is there anything in particular that made it unsuitable or was it too easy?
UmSusu
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

I used this book with my ds and yes whilst he did find it quite easy i think it encouraged him to think outside the box a bit more, and boosted his confidence. Fundamentally the tests are short (15 mins) and he didn't complain which was a positive factor. I followed advice given on the forum and tried to use lots of different recommended resources to maintain his interest and enthusiasm!

I couldnt really find resources which were similar to the "numerical reasoning" which is tested in the exam, so I tried to initially build up his mathematical skills and then lots of different practice. Whilst I wouldn't recommend the book as I don't think I have the authority or expertise to, I think it is useful to use alongside other materials because it is a little bit different. I am afraid that the majority of on line materials from independent schools are no good to me as I am ashamed to say I need the answers :oops:
mystery

Post by mystery »

um wrote:I'm not suggesting Anzan for 11 Plus work and my older children had not used it, but my 6 year old uses it (primarily to keep him quiet while I make dinner :roll: ).
He has been taught the Japanese calculator method and uses this (in his mind).

Anzan will flash up a series of numbers in quick succession, e.g 5.9.2.4.7. Then you input the answer. That's all it is. He enjoys this and can usually go faster at it than his older siblings. Maybe because he is autistic, he loves calculating and is obsessed with his times tables at the moment :D .

You can get the Anzan app on Google Play. You can set different levels, such as using 2 or 3 digit numbers too and having them go slower or faster.
What is the Japanese calculator method Um?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now