True lowest score for GS entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

True lowest score for GS entry

Post by Bob1892 »

Can we have any feedback about the actual lowest scores which achieved a GS place for last year's test. I know what the cut off scores were but apparently those on lower score than the cut-offs (& being on the waiting list presumably) still got through. I heard of a lad who had a score of 237 and still got into CHB although the cut-off was 240. This feedback might be interesting next Month/March for some dps.
Thanks
Wolves mum

Re: True lowest score for GS entry

Post by Wolves mum »

Was that their score or ranking?
um

Post by um »

I've heard of a 239 making a place from the waiting list but not 237. That is interesting.

With the regards to the Walsall scores, it is vital to know whether the last score given (for example, 318 for QMGS) was the score of the last boy in, on offer day in March, or whether it was the last score of the last child to get in from the waiting list before the start of term in September.

Unfortunately, the letter given to parents has not made this clear :roll:

We do need more information on this, so if anyone has any, please feel free to post.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Not sure of 237, but I did hear from a tutor friend of mine that 238 was offered a place.

I know they had 7 candidates on 235, and keeping in mind the number of candidates on each point above this score to be slightly lower, they must have offered to around 15 from the waiting list.

MSD
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Had a very interesting conversation with Adams Grammar school today. Their last score entry in 2012 was 301 according to their letters. However, they are now clearly saying don't apply with a score of 301 this year, as the 'exam was a year 5 standard, and all the banding has moved'.. which I found a little peculiar? Surely standardisation takes cares of different standards of paper? I'm bewildered :|

I now strongly feel all the last score entries are going to rise :?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Sounds odd. Who did you speak to?

If you didn't consider the extra candidates (across the consortium) due to the early exam, and that most of the extra possibly wouldn't actually be looking for AGS places, it would be easy to look at the raw correlation of standardised score vs ranking and see that the same score was getting a lower ranking this year. Therefore you could come to the, possibly erroneous, conclusion that a higher score would be required to rank high enough for a place?
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi Okanagan

I spoke to someone called Mrs Mills year 7 admissions. :-)m

She was really pleasant and helpful, but I got a terrible feeling that even she wasn't convinced about what she was saying!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now