Parmiter's or Verulam School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

new2me

Parmiter's or Verulam School

Post by new2me »

My DS has a guaranteed sibling place at Parmiter's but I am wondering if Verulam School would be a better fit for him. He is very bright, motivated and hard working, and is very keen on sport, particularly rugby and tennis. Verulam might be a better fit for the extra curricular provision. I don't know much about the school, and we would have to be lucky in the lottery to get a place there anyway, but does anyone have any views on Verulam for an academic and sporty boy?
mon786

Re: Parmiter's or Verulam School

Post by mon786 »

I have family that way - Parmiters is more academic and good for sport. My family would say take Parmiters no question.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

My dc has just started at Verulam. He took Consortium tests and scored enough to secure both academic and music places, but just did not like Parmiters. Believe me it was an incredibly difficult decision but we eventually ranked Verulam higher.

So far, I'm very impressed. There is a really strong culture of ' excellence ' in every aspect of school life (which is a bit exhausting!) Communication is excellent, my ds is already identified as very able and being given extension work. Extra curricular activities are very impressive. Down sides I would say at this early stage is that it is a pretty competitive place, and very 'male'. Terrible food too!

Ds is happy and I'm pretty sure we made the right decision for us.
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

I've got two DS at Parmiter's and they're both extremely happy, both academically very able, both musical, one sporty. I know academically able and sporty boys at Verulam who are also happy and well catered for. The main difference seems to me that Verulam is, as you'd expect, much 'blokier'. This obviously suits some boys really well, but I do know of others who, though not unhappy, might reconsider if they had their time again. Personally, I think it's good to have girls around but I know that's not what everybody thinks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now