Does a dc need to be in top sets to get a GS place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
equation

Does a dc need to be in top sets to get a GS place

Post by equation »

Does a child really need to be in top sets for maths & English at school to gain a GS place.
Wonder what other dps views are on this?
JamesDean

Re: Does a dc need to be in top sets to get a GS place

Post by JamesDean »

I'll tell you in October, Equation! Although, English isn't set at our school ...

JD
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

From the viewpoint of children attending standard primary schools in the Midlands I would say definitely yes ... the members from "down south" will probably say even top set is not enough .... :?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Actually I would say no. The desire to learn is much more important than how your current primary rates you. I know top table students who failed to gain a place and bottom set students who have amazed the other parents from the year by getting places. A desire to go to the school and being prepared to work hard are in my opinion the two most important ingredients for the students. Not forgetting of course having parents who are prepared to help them. DG
ginx

Post by ginx »

Equation, I am in east Warwickshire. Dc needed a lower score to get into grammar school here.

But that doesn't mean it is easy, either.

Dd 2 was always in the top half for literacy and numeracy at junior school but in that half never in the top group. She is quiet and shy. We had no expectations but in June looked round the gs. She decided she wanted to go there, she did some practice papers in the summer, and got a place. She sat level 6s and didn't get them but her maths has already been marked as a six this term.

She accurately predicted the girls who would pass, but four from her junior school passed and everyone was very surprised. They were in the bottom half of the class. So no, I don't think you do have to be in the top set to pass. Although I am still worrying her work will be adequate. So far so good.

I think your child needs to be quite quick to learn, and self motivated and interested, with a desire to do well, and encouragement from home.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So maybe teachers can get their setting wrong?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Definitely not - a friend of my DDs was dropped from the top Maths set in Junior School but passed the 11+ - she is now studying Maths at Cambridge
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hee hee! I am sure it can all be explained by a developmental spurt of some sort.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

My sister was in all the bottom sets for maths, really struggled with it, didn't mange to get a grammar school place until she was 14 then got one at a highly selective school and is now a pure maths professor at Sydney university. Many children develop a lot later that is why this is such a rubbish system.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Teachers in my experience put confident brash older children above quiet less noticeable younger-in-year ones, it's only natural- happens at work too. Also parents may have asked DCs to be put down or up. The GS exams are much less about outward appearance and personality. Also the content tested is somewhat different.

The set they are in is not really relevant even in the south, the same applies everywhere.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now