Newprot Girls High School, Shrophire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tracey

Newprot Girls High School, Shrophire

Post by Tracey »

Hi,

New to this site and would like some help.

Would like to get my eldest daughter (and later her younger sisters) into NGHS.

The problem is we live outside catchment (about 20 miles from Newport).

I am aware that some of the 56 places are allocated for catchment but believe some are also allocated for out of catchment.

Can anyone advise how the selection takes place, for example how are actual marks, age, distance from school weighted or assessed.

Many thanks in anticipation.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

there was some discussion last year about NGHS, will have a search later and see what they said. It is a small school and I think that 56 is the whole intake - it used to be only about 30 until a few years ago and then they increased it.
There are minibuses to Adam's and I suspect NGHS from various areas - Market Drayton is one I know of but not sure about the other.

I suspect that the demand for places may increase this year and onwards from local kids with the ability to know the result before the CAF is submitted.

herman
resmum

Newport Girls High

Post by resmum »

Last year NGHS had 56 places to allocate. As I understand it all those places can be taken by girls in the catchment area if they achieve the passmark set by the school AND receive a favourable report from their present school. (I supect the purpose of asking for a school report is to weed out any bright girls who are potential troublemakers.)

Usually it seems that less than 56 girls meet the standard applied by the school and the remaining places (any number between 1 and 56) are then allocated to girls outside the catchment in rank order.

In other words if you are applying from outside the catchment it doesn't matter if you live 5, 10 or 20 miles from the school. If your daughter ranked highly enough in the exam then she will be allocated one of the spare places. In the unlikely event that less than 56 applicants from the catchment and outside failed to meet the passmark then I expect these places would remain unfilled.

The education service for Telford and Wrekin can confirm the exact arrangements.
jaykay

Exam type & Recommended Books

Post by jaykay »

Hi,

My daughter like to sit for 2008 exam. It would be really helpful, if some one answering the below questions:

1. What type of exam this school conducts:
2. Standard type or Multiple Choice.
3. Recommend Books.
4. Useful web sites, if any.

Please help me and Thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now