What about school homework this week?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
imustbecrazy

What about school homework this week?

Post by imustbecrazy »

Since DD2 has started year 6 her teacher has piled on the homework, more than even dd1 had in that year. There are so many projects on the go, as well as spellings, maths workbooks etc. DD2 has been doing all this as well as preparing for the test next week, but this weekend has been ridiculous. We are now done with anything 11+ related, I want dd to have a rest, however, we are behind with school homework. Shouldn't teachers be backing off last week and this week? I was thinking of speaking to teacher tomorrow to ask if she can go easy on them this week. Is this unreasonable for me to ask?
Amber

Re: What about school homework this week?

Post by Amber »

Hmm. Not sure what sort of reaction that would get tbh. Th 11+ is nothing to do with the primary schools, and a teacher could reasonably argue that what a child is doing at the weekend doesn't really have anything to do with them. For example a child might be in a swimming gala or cycle race, and most weekends I bet there is something for at least one child in the class. In my son's primary class only 4 children out of 30 took the test and I wouldn't have expected the teacher to make any allowances.

That's not to say your child actually has to do the homework. :wink:
Orson

Post by Orson »

Some year 6 teachers make allowances if put in the picture and others don't. As Amber says, it really has nothing to do with school and arguably should be regarded no differently to any other activity.
When I was in the classroom I gave no homework to ALL the year 6 children during the week before the test whether they were sitting it or not. Some of my colleagues felt this was wrong.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I have given my DD2 a lot of help with her homework this week :D It was all in her own writing....
Amber

Post by Amber »

Orson wrote:When I was in the classroom I gave no homework to ALL the year 6 children during the week before the test whether they were sitting it or not. Some of my colleagues felt this was wrong.
Good job I wasn't working with you Orson :wink: . Unless of course you let them all off homework when one or 2 of them had a gym competition, or were in a concert, or had a long journey to make. :shock:
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Lots of children in my Dc's class didn't do their homework last week because they were too busy preparing. They've all been in trouble for it. I made sure Dc had done their homework - part of me thinks that they will have a lot more than this to manage next year if they qualify! :shock:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Amber wrote:
Orson wrote:When I was in the classroom I gave no homework to ALL the year 6 children during the week before the test whether they were sitting it or not. Some of my colleagues felt this was wrong.
Good job I wasn't working with you Orson :wink: . Unless of course you let them all off homework when one or 2 of them had a gym competition, or were in a concert, or had a long journey to make. :shock:
Now that would be lovely! Everyone gets a treat when a few have other commitments. I'm sure that's how it worked in Sri Lanka when it came to religious hols. Maybe I have a poor memory but I'm pretty sure we all got each other's holidays off.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Scaredycat, my DD1 is at SHS and very rarely gets more homework than DD2 :D I'm sure it depends on the school though and to some extent luck of the draw with teaching groups.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Pixiqueen, same here, DD1 has had far less homework this year than DD2. DD1 - shs year 9 dd2 -year 6! Maybe it may have something to do with having a new head who wants to let their authority be know. :roll:
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

DC at one of the Gloucester grammars in Year 9 and gets plenty of homework each night (4 subjects some evenings) :shock: As you say, luck of the draw - Dc2 at primary gets maths and literacy each week (literacy last week was a good couple of hours and maths at least 40 minutes). Give it a few more days and we can all breathe a sigh of relief until results day! Keep smiling :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now