Private tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parent2013

Private tutors

Post by parent2013 »

Removed my original post

This thread is to see if there's any website to rate private tutors for 11 plus (rather than word of mouth).
Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Re: Private tutors

Post by Daogroupie »

Actually there are websites where tutors have to have references from previous students in order to be able to register. Unfortunately as you say some parents are so desperate they do not use "buyer beware." Not only do they not ask the right questions but some of them do not ask any questions at all. It seems really obvious that you get a tutor who has worked with students who have gained places at the school you want to go to. But some of them have never even been to the school! DG
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

In my experience most tutors are focused on DC who are below average academically. They just do not understand that a bright DC and their parents may want to excel, not just pass. Also they aren't very skilled with such situations. Even saying eleven plus could mean top 30% in some parts if the country. We needed to be in the top 5% of the ~2000 or so sitting the exam for the school we want. We were very lucky to get a great tutor for English, who also knew the content of the different school's exams (thanks you know who you are!) and for example saved us wasting time in NVR, which was useless. Most of Bond was useless. I did most of the testing for weak spots, finding materials to help, and towards the end found a young maths tutor who was good except wanted to do NVR-she was happy to be educated though and was very helpful for MY weak spots !

We have done all sorts of tutoring over the years, and my main message is, the parents have to work just as hard as the DCs. No one can really take that burden , beware those who promise to! You MUST monitor and check everything for yourself, and be fully involved.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

silverysea wrote: We have done all sorts of tutoring over the years, and my main message is, the parents have to work just as hard as the DCs. No one can really take that burden , beware those who promise to! You MUST monitor and check everything for yourself, and be fully involved.

Totally agree - parents have to be heavily involved and stay on top of things to get the best out of the tuition process
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

if you have the time and the patience - which most parents dont have
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now