Appeals is it worth it?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadMum.com

Appeals is it worth it?

Post by MadMum.com »

How many points do you think it's worth appealing from?
hermanmunster

Re: Appeals is it worth it?

Post by hermanmunster »

depends which area you are in and how much academic evidence you have to demonstrate that the score is not a true reflection of ability
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Definitely worth appealing. We did and succeeded! Have you seen the thread with all the appeal summaries in it at the start of the appeal forum? It may help.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

I didn't realise there was one, I shall have to take a look she was 15 points short! And very upset about it all!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Very much depends on the school - in that it helps if there have been some successful appeals in the past -and having very good alternative academic evidence and reasons for possible poor performance on the day- since we had a successful appeal last year - for us it was worth all the stress.
Last edited by DC17C on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have a read here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Agree very much depends on the school you are appealing for. I am glad we appealed just to make sure we had no what ifs in the future. However the school we appealed for has a record of hardly any non qualification appeals being sucessful. Despite having a valid medical reason for underperformance and a child with an outstanding academic record (L 6+ english and maths) G &T languages Dd was not deemed of the academic standard required ( just read did not pass on the day.)
Last edited by CarpeDiem on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D457

Post by D457 »

Agree with above poster - I would advise researching the schools past history with regards to its successful appeals. I would say if you had 'contacts' at the school then you may be in with a good chance!! Ok a bit tongue in cheek but having been through the process including an EFA complaint have come out of it all very very disillusioned!

Neither the school, the EFA (who in my opinion are not impartial) or anyone from the appeal panel could tell me what academic evidence we could have provided to prove academic ability or indeed why the academic evidence we did provide (overwhelming to say the least) was not deemed suitable. Transparent process? Absolutely not! As they say it's not what you know...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now