We have been told we are out ofGrammar Zone-Tunbridge wells

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Becs

We have been told we are out ofGrammar Zone-Tunbridge wells

Post by Becs »

And have been given a Grammar school in Miadstone 19 miles from us. Our local school is 3.4miles. Admissions have told us we are in the comprehensive area but the admissions booklet indicates our parish in within the area. Anyone else had that problem or had a successful appeal ?

Post by Guest »

Have you tried going to your MP?

Post by Guest »

Your county councillor might be more help than the MP.

If possible, I'd find out if there are any kids from your area that did get in to the nearer school. If you are outside of the catchment area, then they must be too. If so, how did they get accepted?

Post by Guest »

In Tunbridge wells there is a section that is comprehensive only, in the admisisons books it tells you what areas are comprehensive, what is doesnt tells you is that there are other parishes are included in this comprehensive area. Unfortunately I moved into a parish that was included into the comprehensive area. So although Im less than 4 miles - people in Tonbridge and Hildenborough are 5 miles etc They are in a grammar zone and I am not apparently so they always take priority.

Will try my councillor

Post by Guest »

Getting to Maidstone is possibly too hard. However, I used to live in Herne Bay and went to school in Canterbury. I used to leave at 7:30 and get home at 5:30. A rotten long day for a kid, but I got used to it.
SAD

Re: We have been told we are out ofGrammar Zone-Tunbridge we

Post by SAD »

Becs wrote:And have been given a Grammar school in Miadstone 19 miles from us. Our local school is 3.4miles. Admissions have told us we are in the comprehensive area but the admissions booklet indicates our parish in within the area. Anyone else had that problem or had a successful appeal ?
You should put in for a reallocated place - on the grounds that Maidstone is too far to travel and was not one of your chosen schools - I think you will find you have a good chance.
guest38

out of catchment for t wells

Post by guest38 »

Sorry to hear your predicament, seems rotten. I am going to move back to T Wells specifically to help child apply for grammar. I was not aware that there were any areas in T Wells itself which are comprehensive, are you N, E S or West of TW? I had a long conversation about Langton Green being a problem last year for TWGS, but have not heard it being a problem this year. If boundaries are changing, do you really need to live next door to school to get in?

Best of luck with your appeal.

Post by Guest »

Which comprehensive are you supposed to go to in Tunbridge Wells?
puzzled

can you explain

Post by puzzled »

Please can you say where you live to stop other people making the same error as you as to whether they are in a comprehensive area or not.

It is hard to credit that there should have been such a mix-up as I would have thought you would have known from the admissions section at the time of application whether you were in a comprehensive area or not, and from your neighbours? The admissions booklet only gives a vague idea of boundaries so what made you think that you were in the opposite type of area from the one you are in?

Anyway hope you resolve your strange predicament but not really sure that I have understood it.
SAD

Post by SAD »

Anonymous wrote:Which comprehensive are you supposed to go to in Tunbridge Wells?
I think Paddock Wood is a comprehensive area - maybe villages around Paddock Wood also qualify. Tunbridge Wells itself only has church based comprehensives and are not therefore in the true sense of the word - comprehensive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now