Reason for appeal / High turnover of teaching staff.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oldelpaso

Reason for appeal / High turnover of teaching staff.

Post by Oldelpaso »

I am considering review/or appeal in relation to recent 11 plus results. 15 points off pass. The principle strand of this is a high turnover in teaching staff.

My son had four different primary school teachers last year. We are exploring the reason for this and suspect that at least one failed probation, and another the product of a very challenging class. This element I intend to explore further as politely as I can.

I would like to think most people would consider four teachers in one primary school year to be highly unusual and potentially very disruptive. We have been made aware by a member of teaching staff and a third party that there have been gaps in teaching caused by this turnover. My call for assistance is as follows: Is anyone aware of any material, research or president that would support the argument that having four teachers in one year is likely to have impacted performance?

This is my first ever post on a forum (yes now is the time for me to learn), and I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere.

I am proud of what he has achieved, but don't believe he has been given the opportunity to fulfil his potential.

Very grateful to anyone even reading this. Thanks.
Etienne

Re: Reason for appeal / High turnover of teaching staff.

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

It seems to me a reasonably valid extenuating circumstance.

However, the main strand of your case would need to be alternative academic evidence of high ability. As we often point out, you might win an appeal with academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances – you cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Oldelpaso

Re: Reason for appeal / High turnover of teaching staff.

Post by Oldelpaso »

Thank you for the reply.

I accept the point after reading the guidance you have kindly brought to my attention. I will therefore consider what other evidence of ability I can get my hands on.

I can't help but feel however that his academic ability is likely to reflect what he has and has not been taught. I would also think the headmistress; who I understand to have been embarrassed about how last year went, to be supportive of the fact that there were significant gaps in teaching. Had these problems not have occurred, class work, 11 plus results and homework would have all improved. I have found some academic research to support this theory.

Saying that I completely accept my own bias, and I take on board what you have said.

Thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now