DCGS catchment condition

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
leehar

DCGS catchment condition

Post by leehar »

Can someone advise if there is a strict condition with DCGS to remain within the area after a child has been accepted and is attending the school.

Just wondering if we are required to stay in the local area post year 7 or potentially after year 8. I have had a look on the website and haven't found anything specific that provides this guidance.
southbucks3

Re: DCGS catchment condition

Post by southbucks3 »

No after policy, just a year before policy, but the school admissions may look at whether you complied with the rules in the first place if you move quicly after a place has been gained.
My son has seen friends move to Slough at the beginning of year 8 in his school, he was very naive, and felt very sorry for one boy, who wanted to stay local but was moving back to his old house, and could no longer attend after school rugby, as he would miss his bus. This particular boy was probably far more honest about his circumstances than his parents cared for, but chatted to friends about it as he was upset.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

southbucks3 wrote:No after policy, just a year before policy, but the school admissions may look at whether you complied with the rules in the first place if you move quicly after a place has been gained.
My son has seen friends move to Slough at the beginning of year 8 in his school, he was very naive, and felt very sorry for one boy, who wanted to stay local but was moving back to his old house, and could no longer attend after school rugby, as he would miss his bus. This particular boy was probably far more honest about his circumstances than his parents cared for, but chatted to friends about it as he was upset.
I dont think that there is - although one estate agent has told me that there is a steady stream of children from outside catchment renting in catchment until they have a place, then heading back to Slough or Harrow.....
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

one estate agent has told me that there is a steady stream of children from outside catchment renting in catchment until they have a place, then heading back to Slough or Harrow
At DCGS? I don't think so – Dr Fenton (HT) is very, very hot on this and there have been instances in the past of children being required to leave the school on discovery of a false address. There is quite an influx of boys into the sixth from, when the school adds a whole extra class, and these do tend to be 'bright' boys from the Harrow and Wembley areas, but lower down the school it is policed with some vigour.

I speak as someone who has lived my whole life in the area and whose son is currently at the school.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Quite right too, but i suspect he will need to move the, owning another house within 20 miles policy, to 40 miles, as people are prepared to subject their kids to huge journeys. I do respect his stand, he seems very anti game players, hasn't he made some v loud comments on tuition too?
My son just spent a sunny weeekend playing with the local footy team with school friends, the local rugby team with school friends, and then meeting school friends in the local park. As he is very shy, these activities are a godsend in helping him communicate at school, and that in turn helps him progress. Sadly the friend that has moved away also moved rugby team, and i doubt very much will ever show up at the park.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm quite shocked that dp's rent just to get their dc into a school, and then move back to their original homes, it doesn't seem fair. I suppose if that's school policy, and lots of dc do it, then nothing can be done to change it. What about those dc who genuinely live in the area?

I've heard rumours of this kind of thing, but didn't imagine it happened as "a steady stream".
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Not lots, or steady stream, but there just happen to be 3 in my sons class. The problem was greater in dcgs catchment as it not only included people from slogh and harrow but those in extremely affluent areas just outside cstchment, who could afford to buy second homes in catchment, but like we said the ht is very savvy. My son's gs has no chance of enforcing catchment criteria as quite a lot of parents either own rental properties in town as an investment mostly unrelated to the school catchment, or have family inside catchment that are happy to help out.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

All, I'm very supportive of any HT who is emphasising the need to stick to the rules. I quote the estate agent merely to show that whether it is by renting a house, or renting one's own investment property, there are children who are able to flout the rules. The agent started the conversation voluntarily when we were discussing where I lived, and where I was planning to move to. He wasnt encouraging or condoning it, but he illustrated the example with one family who lived OOC who were doing this for the second time......I confess I didnt ask whether it was DCGS or DCHS as it was irrelevant to me... but I know it happens!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now