Appalling handwriting

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Myrtle

Appalling handwriting

Post by Myrtle »

DS appears switched on so we going to try for the 11+ in 2014 but he has the most appalling handwriting. In fact he's writing is similar to my younger DS who is in year 2. Anybody got any advice? I've heard of teachers keeping examples of work. Is this something I should be doing? Thanks :D
mystery

Re: Appalling handwriting

Post by mystery »

Does he have to write in the 11 plus? What was your question about samples again please?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

How is his writing speed? Does it hurt for him to write? are there any other issues with fine/ gross motor control?

If doing multi choice there will be no writing on the paper -just accurate lines marked on the answer sheet but speed of writing can still be an issue with being able to jot down workings out as quickly as possible.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Definitely tackle it now, my ds had terrible writing, and we were thankful for the warning from his friend the year above, who was made to join handwriting lessons in his lunch time at gs and hated it.
They need to be able to keep up with note taking, and use those notes for homework, ie. legible. Not all work is done on ipads etc. Also D.T. is generally done by hand to start with, to reinforce presentation standards. We improved neatness with help from his primary school teachers and speed at home, simply by copying out newspaper articles under timed conditions, which did sometimes get emotional as it is v hard, but it worked. He is not perfect now, but much much improved.
For 11+ simple things like a jotted down 6 becoming a zero due to scruffiness, can lose a mark when transposed to the answer sheet.
Good luck, my thoughts are with you, it is a struggle.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

I had this with DS - and explained time and time again that if his answers were illegible then he would not get the point (even if the answer was correct) - eventually it did sink in, and his teachers at school have commented that his handwriting generally has improved too.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

One of those squidgy plastic pencil grip things that you slot your pen into - available easily online, has helped ds a lot with his writing. Is he a leftie?
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

Thanks all. Yes he is leftie. Using a pencil claw but it's an up hill struggle to get DS to take it onboard. Perserveance is the message I'm getting! Thanks :evil:
ginx

Post by ginx »

Myrtle, my dd2 (now at gs) is a leftie too. Her writing has always been terrible, too small, too "unique". It is strange.

Didn't stop her passing the 11+, but we have a meeting with school next week and they have a "handwriting club" for girls with problems. I suspect they will ask her to attend.

I don't know how you can help. As southbucks3 says, copying sounds good, or even going back to the lined pages especially for handwriting, used in years 1, 2, 3. Practice I think.

CEM 11+ is mostly multiple choice, but you must make sure numbers in particular look clear. Good luck. You're not alone.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried the Stabilo left and right handed pens? They are very good, about a fiver and you can getthem in supermarkets and WH Smith.
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

Must admit to having tried every pen and pencil going. Have been referred by consultant for fine motor skills occ therapy but of course, took 2 months to get the appoint, one month to get the referral typed and signed by the consultant and now waiting for the occ therapy to start. I love the NHS but I do just wish it moved a little faster.

It's a catch 22 with DS, doesn't want to do the practice as it's hard, it's hard because he won't practice.

PS I've just joined the forum and I'm loving all the replies. It's a great site and has great followers - thanks!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now