Tiffin Girl's Stage 1 Waiting Thread...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SunlampVexesEel

Tiffin Girl's Stage 1 Waiting Thread...

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

There is still one more sitting for those unwell today (16th October?) (so please don't discuss the test until at least after that date) but otherwise it's the wait until the envelope arrives in the week of 21st...

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
One_Shot

Re: Tiffin Girl's Stage 1 Waiting Thread...

Post by One_Shot »

If past years threads are to go by, no one really discusses the tests, even after the late dates/results, in this part of the forum - so no danger there ;)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The pattern, the formats, preparation, the scoring all have been discussed here at length from time to time.

Obviously, no one expects many questions to be remembered by the kids and parents posting those here. This last bit is usually obtained by the tutors, who thoroughly 'interview' their pupil. The one we went to for few months emailed us to find the questions so that they could tell us 'if our DC was likely to get into Tiffin or not'. :lol: :lol:
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

A sigh of relief as our girls can relax now. Just the wait now and whether they can hold it together one last time if they are invited for stage 2.
We were in the afternoon session and it did over run by about half an hour. However, pickup was relatively stress free and quite well organised.
There must have been about 700-800 girls and assuming similar numbers sat in the morning would I be right in assuming there were approx 1600?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In some other thread here some one said TGS as stating that 1500 plus candidates were taking the test. So I guess that the number would be less than last year's 1600 approx.
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

The issue is these schools do not issue sample papers - Most private schools do so. It should be a simple matter to publish a paper to show the level of questions being asked.

So everyone is left guessing what would be the level of difficulty, leading to tutors having a field day at the expense of hapless parents.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1

There should be proper sample paper. The tests should be transparent and trying to trick the children and their parents. TGS tests can't be harder than SPGS or other similar schools.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

One_Shot wrote:The issue is these schools do not issue sample papers - Most private schools do so. It should be a simple matter to publish a paper to show the level of questions being asked.

So everyone is left guessing what would be the level of difficulty, leading to tutors having a field day at the expense of hapless parents.
I think TGS has already mentioned that their stage 1 tests are set by GL assessment which is enough information for parents. As with regards to the difficulty I don't think that important as there are all sort of sample tests available for every parents to get if they so wish. As a rule every parents should prepare their DCs well for all exams if they want to be successful. If you are prepared and your DC is of suitable ability you will be successful.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That's true for Stage 1 but I think one-shot comments were about tests in Maths and English Reading & Writing. Many independent schools, including SPGS, have good sample papers on their website.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:That's true for Stage 1 but I think one-shot comments were about tests in Maths and English Reading & Writing. Many independent schools, including SPGS, have good sample papers on their website.
It is different for indie as apart from entrance exam, they needed head teacher report, interview etc. So it doesn't matter whether they give any sample papers. For superselective GSs such as TGS and HBS, the English and Maths are additional tests that are used to further assess their applicants. In order for this to be effective my thought is that the tests should be less predictable to avoid over tutored candidates getting a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now