urgent compound word

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
selena

urgent compound word

Post by selena »

Please can someone help me? Is LOG IN a false compound word? I read somewhere that it was but my daughter is convinced it's real. I suppose it is a real word in the IT world but in the 11+ world, is it real??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's two words, not one.
hugh

Post by hugh »

In 11+ terms, I'd go for two.

However, in the real world, it depends on context:

When you log in to the system... (two words, verb and preposition)

Your system administrator will give you a login code... (one word, noun)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Definitely two words - common usage may abbreviate it to "login" but it is two words.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

My daughter did exactly the same thing!
I think this is confusing for the average very computer-literate 10/11 year old child. As has been said I think it is actually 2 words but common usage certainly has it as one.
I think this is confusing in the modern day world. Perhaps it will become a new word for the oxford english dictionary in the future!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The same could be said of Land + Rover.

Two words or one?

Post by Guest »

Look no further than the bottom of this screen, "Log in" is two words.

Elsewhere on the website you will see two useful lists of compound words, one from Patricia:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

and from from this website:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/el ... -words.pdf
hugh

Post by hugh »

Look no further than the bottom of this screen, "Log in" is two words.
See my post above; that's just an example when it is clearly two words; it is telling you to click there to log in to (or log into?!) the system. But when talking about the name that you sign in with, that is commonly a single noun: your login. Both are valid, but in different circumstances, which it is why it's a bad example for an 11+ test.

But what about into/in to or the fact that today used to be two words, then hyphenated, but is now always one word. our language changes; dictionaries try to keep up and Bucks 11+ should too!

Post by Guest »

The NFER question database is thought not to have changed since 1997 so whatever was prevalent then I suppose would be the best advice.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Anonymous wrote:The NFER question database is thought not to have changed since 1997 so whatever was prevalent then I suppose would be the best advice.
Absolutely.

The question type where a 3 letter word is missing from a longer word. One of these longer words is CASSETTE.

Now, according to most of my 10 ten year old students, its CDs only, whats a cassette?

Patricia