Lawrence Sheriff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Lawrence Sheriff

Post by Ed's mum »

We live out of catchment but are still pinning our hopes on our son passing, and gaining a place, at the grammar school in Rugby. Many years ago I went to Rugby High School, the girl's grammar, and would love to provide my son with the same opportunity for a good education.
How I wish we had been more careful when we moved house 8.5 years ago...I hate the priority circle and it makes me feel sick to know that we have effectively almost totally blown our son's chances to realistically go to the Sheriff, all because of where we located years ago!
Part of me wants to just move...The other option, strangely, is to apply to a particular grammar school in Devon which does not have a catchment area (also happens to have an amazing reputation- Colyton-)Apparently my son has more of a chance of getting into the Devon school than The Sheriff. Basically we are tempted to bite the bullet and apply to Devon and live in a caravan if we have to.
Any advice gratefully received...HELP!!

My concern is that both schools are not within our LEA and both are selective and I have read so many threads on this website of people having their dreams shattered and I wonder if we are making a silly mistake applying for these two schools...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

What is the system about naming preferences on the application form in your area? Is it equal preference? If so, you won't spoil your chances of getting into your local schools as long as you list them somewhere.

Then you'll just be left with whether to expose your son and your family to the stress of preparing for the selective exams. Is he a high-flyer? (Do the teachers reinforce this? - Be honest!) Is he good but not outstanding (more practice will be needed)? They'll be people on this site who can help with advice for individual school exams.

Have you visited your local schools? Don't dismiss them out of hand just because they're not selective - there are some excellent comps around (and some terrible ones, I'll grant!). You can't really compare the bald results between a comp and a selective. A comp will have all abilities from high flyers down to special needs. But you can look at the overall success (over 60% 5 or more GCSEs?) and look for a good number of A*/As in the various subjects (our local good comp gets about 25% A*/A and 50% A*-B in all GCSEs taken). Then you'll know he'll be challenged whatever level he fits in at.

Good luck - not an easy choice.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

They are no longer allowed to prioritise in order of first choice, second choice etc apparently which is useful.
As for my son in terms of ability - he got level 5s for his optional SATs this year (year 5), level 3s at end of KS1, which I know is good as I teach in a primary school. He is definitely able and has the thinking skills to solve the sorts of problems posed in the eleven plus. He consistently gets in the 90+ per cent range in practise tests at school.
With regard to local schools, there is nothing particularly wrong with the local school he is in catchment for but it is HUGE and I know my son's character. He is reserved and shy and quite cerebral and, consequently, is a slight misfit when with large groups. His maturity in terms of intelligence really stands out, in other ways he is a typical nearly eleven year old boy!!
My gut feeling is that a grammar school is right for him...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

You probably know more than I do being a teacher yourself. He does sound grammar material, so go for it!

Geoffrey
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ed's mum,

Yes he does sound as if he would suit a Grammar - but moving to Devon sounds a bit drastic! Can you not move nearer your desired school? This would be less disruptive to your family -
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for your comments.
Guest 55, I know it sounds odd that we could contemplate the move to Devon but not a few miles nearer to the 'local' grammar school. It's a complicated and unecessary story but some of it is related to the fact that if we have to up sticks anyway we may as well do it to a wonderful part of the country near the sea. Hope that makes sense! In truth we can't really afford to move.
He definitely appears to be grammar school material but we haven't done much work at home with him. The message I find time and time again on this fantastic site is that there is no point hot housing a child for the test only to find that they cannot cope with the work when they get to grammar school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I can understand the attraction of Devon ... I love the countryside in Bucks but wish it was nearer the coast!!

Pupils with levels 5s [at least two anyway] thrive in Grammars - research carefully and then go for what you feel is right for you all -

Post by Guest »

Ed's Mum - just to let you know, I have heard that LS has about 12 more places available than RHS but because of equal opportunities they have to offer the same amount (!). Therefore, my understanding is that quite a few boys get in on appeal, so don't despair.....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes, thank you. Since my post I have also found that out. He has sat the test and and feels it went very well. We have stayed where we are living and are hoping that it will all work out fo him without a huge upheaval. The Head of his school has said that she thinks he is grammar school material and that is the message she would presumably give if it went to appeal.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Ed's Mum, have you thought of trying for the Rugby School Foundationers scholarship? To qualify you must live within 12 miles of Rugby clock tower. Are you this close?

Charlotte