Maidstone Grammar school for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Maidstone Grammar school for boys

Post by fatbananas »

I didn't want to hijack the Oakwood Park thread, but I was just wondering ... Can DC get in to MGS if they are not in Maidstone or any of the named parishes? We hadn't thought of it before because we thought we were out of catchment, but I was speaking today with someone who said her DS went there, so I wondered if I'd misunderstood? We're in East Kent, not a named parish. Maybe that person has moved since her eldest DS got in? Or maybe the rules have changed? Anyone know?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
frangipani

Re: Maidstone Grammar school for boys

Post by frangipani »

According to their oversubscription criteria they can take children who don't live in a named parish, but only if there are places left after allocating from within the parishes.
As far as I'm aware they are always oversubscribed and easily fill their places within the parishes.So I think it's unlikely, but not impossible and can vary from year to year.
I would certainly give it a try if you like the school.

MGS 2014
Oversubscription Criteria

Entry is through the Kent age 11 assessment procedure. When the school is oversubscribed (the School’s Planned Admission Number is 175), the following oversubscription criteria will be used in the order shown:
1. Qualifying children who are looked after children.
2. Children resident in one of the parishes listed below, with a combined score of 390 or more, in order of (a) siblings and (b) those living the shortest distance from the school.
3. Other qualifying children resident in one of the listed parishes, in the order of (a) siblings and (b) those living the shortest distance from the school.
4. Other qualifying children, in the order of (a) siblings and (b) those living the shortest distance from the school.
The parishes in question are those of Addington, Aylesford (South), Barming, Bearsted, Bicknor, Birling, Borough Green, Boughton Malherbe, Boughton Monchelsea, Boxley, Bredhurst, Broomfield and Kingswood, Burham, Chart Sutton, Collier Street, Coxheath, Detling, Ditton, Downswood, East Farleigh, East Malling and Larkfield, East Sutton, Eccles, Frinsted, Harrietsham, Headcorn, Hollingborne, Hucking, Hunton, Ightham, Kings Hill, Langley, Leeds, Lenham (includes Lenham Heath), Leybourne, Linton, Loose, Maidstone, Marden, Mereworth, Nettlestead, Offham, Otham, Platt, Ryarsh, Snodland, Stansted, Staplehurst, Stockbury, Sutton Valence, Teston, Thurnham, Tovil, Trottiscliffe, Ulcombe, Wateringbury, West Farleigh, West Malling, West Peckham, Wichling, Wormshill, Wrotham, Wouldham, Yalding (includes Laddingford). See the note about transport below.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

The admissions officer at MGS is very helpful. I would give her a call and she will be able to tell you more specific details.

HTH
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you both very much. I don't hold out much hope but I just wanted to be sure what all our options would be, should DS pass the 11+!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

MGS had it's OFSTED published today...outstanding in every area.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now