Late sitting of 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Heaselmi

Late sitting of 11+

Post by Heaselmi »

Has anyone else heard if there was a late sitting of the 11 plus for entry to Alcester TODAY? My son claims his class mate has sat it today (and he wasn't in school today). I thought it was only late sittings the week after the original date, and with only a few days until results are mailed I'm guessing he has misunderstood? Thank you All.
Brum Mum

Re: Late sitting of 11+

Post by Brum Mum »

Hi,

I know that there were additional late sitting dates for the 11 plus - it may well be one of these. I believe that people sitting the late dates won't get offers in the first round (although I may have mis-understood this).
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It is possible to take it late in certain circumstances, if they hadn't registered before, moved into the area after registration, or perhaps were planning to move away but now aren't. But unless they were registered on time and the reason was something like extended illness, then they won't get the results with every one else, and they won't get offers on March 1st, only be added to the waiting list for AGS if the score is high enough.
Heaselmi

Post by Heaselmi »

Thanks Brum Mum and Okanagan. I heave heard this morning that there was a late sitting yesterday and a further one in November.

So do they sit the same paper?

Am I being dense in thinking that this is unfair? Although they do not get first round offers and only get added to the wait list, another 5-8 weeks of solid practice could make all the difference in obtaining a high enough score to get in eventually, even if you have to wait for others to drop out??? Am I missing something?

Is it documented anywhere what the acceptable reasons for a late sitting would be?

Thank you.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Hi,

Okanagan has detailed some of the reasons above.

I believe that the same exam paper is sat but only think that late sitters benefit if they are able to find out what was in the actual paper...I personally don't feel that the additional time is a bonus and for DS I don't think he would have liked to have to do a late sitting.

On the basis that generally they won't get a first round offer (unless they applied on time), I think they are pretty significantly disadvantaged.
Heaselmi

Post by Heaselmi »

Thanks Brum Mum.

Guess it depends which way you look at it. Do you think that for some kids who had the knowledge but not the speed element to score highly as at 7th September, another 5-8 weeks of practice to gain speed could make a difference?

Also for some kids the sheer scale of seeing hundreds of kids in that exam room on 7th September was pretty nerve wracking and competitive, which compared to being in a small sitting could possibly make a difference to performance.

So if they were registered on time but had an illness reason, they could still get their results next week?
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Everything depends on the child - but then it does anyway.

Our sitting had a big line of DS's school friends and he would definitely have preferred this to sitting in a smaller sitting with strangers...horses for courses I guess. Same with the speed element. Again IMHO.

If you registered on time and were unable to make the 7th because of illness or, maybe you were sitting another test on the same day, you could be still getting your results next week.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

5-8 weeks can make an enormous difference in speed. You can make huge strides if you really focus. You can make a difference in just a few days. DG
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Of course if they are older when they take the test, they will be standardised on their age when they actually take it, not their age when the main sitting was, so they will end up with a slightly lower standardised score for the same raw score.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I think it does make a big difference because even though you end up on the waiting list, if your score is high enough, you will be put right to the top of the waiting list. If you sit it late due to moving in to area though, you do get an offer in the first round.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now