RGS from Gravesend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mumx4

RGS from Gravesend

Post by Mumx4 »

Hi need some advice pls; is there anyone whose dc attends RGS but reside in Gravesend. How's the commute if so and are they able to stay behind for any after school clubs? My DD wants RGS, she has passed Medway and Bexley just waiting for Kent. I want to make sure we make the right decision.
medwaymum

Re: RGS from Gravesend

Post by medwaymum »

Hi there Mumx4, I would say that is quite an ambitious journey to be undertaking, possibly for the next 7 years. I know lots of girls who attend RGS but not from the Gravesend area. Is there a reason you are not considering Gravesend Grammar School for Girls, or Mayfield as it is known now?
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

Thanks medway mum. You have made a very good point, we are considering Mayfield as well although results not yet out. Fingers crossed, I would prefer Mayfield but my DD has had taster sessions in both and went on the open day (year 5) at RGS and was smitten from then.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

They are both excellent schools and their results and reputations are outstanding, as is Fort Pitt also, so you have a great choice ahead of you, results permitting. Good luck! I would however consider keeping more local personally just because it would enable your dd to be more independent when travelling to/from friends in the future which I think is an important part of growing up. Take care.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hi I know of boys who come in to the Math School via a bus which they pick up in Gravesend. But for matches after school, they get picked up. Of course the train is an option too, with a bus up the hill in Rochester.

As to RGS clubs, my DD has just started and I haven't noticed any after school clubs - they are all at lunch.
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

Thanks Medwaymum and Samlet, you guys are awesome. I love this site do much, there's a wealth of information available. I'm keeping an open mind about the schools but at the back of my mind I'm conscious of my DD's decision - she seems deadset on RGS. Let's see if she still feels the same after the Open day tomorrow :D
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hope you enjoy it - my DD v excited about it. She will be doing science demos. Loads to see so I'd get there early. :D
oob mum

Post by oob mum »

We are also going today, we are a bit further than Gravesend but my hubby works in Chatham so I know she can be dropped and take a bus to his office. But we shall see today. Thank you every body for your comments.