Differences from region to region

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aliportico

Differences from region to region

Post by aliportico »

Anyone else looking at other areas results out of curiosity/boredom/nosiness and feeling rather envious of the lower scores needed for grammar places? E.g. I've been looking at the Essex results, where they get their actual mark for each paper, and it seems like about 80% will get you a place. If only that would work for Kendrick! I should stop reading them, but it's going to be dead here until 23rd!
Complete Novice

Re: Differences from region to region

Post by Complete Novice »

I think you would feel better Aliportico if you looked at the standard of the Essex papers! I ordered some for practice for Reading School and the comprehension was horrendous. I think the VR paper was just a normal Nfer but also seem to remember some tough Maths!

The problem with Kendrick is the need to be near perfect on papers that are perhaps too easy? I'm not sure it sorts out the clever but careless from the less clever but very meticulous. It claims to be tutor proof , but I think that the tiny difference in scores between those successful and those not tends to indicate otherwise. One lucky guess and one unlucky one are enough when the cut off raw scores are so high.

Now, if you look at Kent, there is plenty of reason to be envious...
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I agree with CN. The different paper styles and the number of grammar places make all the difference.

I've seen CEM Bucks style papers and the level of english and spatial awareness needed to answer the questions would make your mind boggle. Extremely difficult. They are expecting 10/11yr olds to know the meaning of words even adults would struggle with, however the upside is that they have a higher percentage of places.
The Herts papers, again, have different styles of question, and when the 11+ includes an English paper, as Reading School, the ballgame gets wider. Even more is being asked from our poor children. :(

Sadly none of this is easy. Whilst trying to do the best by our children, we have to have them jump through many difficult hoops.

I do believe that the parents that find this forum, care deeply about their children's education, therefore their children are already ahead of the game, and will be wherever they get a place :D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Ah, yes, you both made me feel better!

The last 6 years have brought many challenges, children-wise, and have certainly been improved by the good company here :-)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Freely admit to wandering here, there and everywhere on the forum (although it's funny how much livelier / quieter different areas are :lol: ). We have been resident in the Borough of Southend in Essex for nearly 20 years, but I have family in Gloucestershire and friends in Kent and on the Wirral, so am interested in what goes on there.

CSSE English papers in particular do have the reputation of being quite difficult, although at least this year they chose some good books for the comprehension - The Hound of the Baskervilles for the main paper and Lord of the Flies for the reserve date :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

ToadMum wrote:Lord of the Flies for the reserve date
Thanks for that info ToadMum! :D

... and to put that into perspective that's what the current and last years GCSE Eng Lit book was at my school. Thus yr11 level for an 11+ paper... :shock:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Lol ToadMum!

Definitely feeling better now :-)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bewildered wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Lord of the Flies for the reserve date
Thanks for that info ToadMum! :D

... and to put that into perspective that's what the current and last years GCSE Eng Lit book was at my school. Thus yr11 level for an 11+ paper... :shock:
To be fair, back in the Dark Ages we did this one at some time before current year 10, and in most "grown up" books it is possible to find passages suitable to use as source material for younger readers. (Okay, perhaps not a certain recent tome possibly about paint samples for a particularly drab room, which one Dad was sitting reading whilst our DC were taking the entrance test for a local partially-selective school last weekend...).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Indeed, I was forced to read this when I was in yr7. (not the paint book! :lol: )

Many students I ask today say they love 'Lord of the Flies', I admit to look on in wonder as, personally, I found it really rather dull.

(I'd rather read Jane Austen, but that discussion should be reserved for the dungeon :wink: )
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Bewildered wrote:I agree with CN. The different paper styles and the number of grammar places make all the difference.

I've seen the CEM Bucks papers and the level of english and spatial awareness needed to answer the questions would make your mind boggle. Extremely difficult. They are expecting 10/11yr olds to know the meaning of words even adults would struggle with, however the upside is that they have a higher percentage of places.
The Herts papers, again, have different styles of question, and when the 11+ includes an English paper, as Reading School, the ballgame gets wider. Even more is being asked from our poor children. :(

Sadly none of this is easy. Whilst trying to do the best by our children, we have to have them jump through many difficult hoops.

I do believe that the parents that find this forum, care deeply about their children's education, therefore their children are already ahead of the game, and will be wherever they get a place :D
Hi
How did you manage to see the CEM paper? I thought they were TOP secret? :shock: