New exam format, 2014 ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

New exam format, 2014 ?

Post by Sunshine 11 »

So, now the results are out for this year, I hope they will put us 2014s out of our misery and publish clear and concise guidance on the test for next year, pleeeeease :wink:
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
angel66

Re: New exam format, 2014 ?

Post by angel66 »

I heard from my tutor test will be :
VR
non-vr
and English and Maths

Please don't take this as a 100 % but heard this twice from 2 different people ???
Good luck anyway !
11nonplussed

Post by 11nonplussed »

I second that sunshine 11 :) really keen for some clarity now. 2014 now seems not so far away :shock:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Yep, us too. Would be nice to get some clarity I must admit so at least we will know what we are dealing with. Sounds like it'll be pretty challenging, but I guess that's the idea.
chumba

Post by chumba »

Me too! Do you think the dates will be the roughly the same for the test and results? DD1 due to take the test next year and I've felt quite stressed just reading the posts about this year, comparing scores, ranks, dates and times of e-mails/posts. I quite like the sound of the new test if it is more than just VR, but looking forward to some actual information which is more than rumour! Started reading the Birmingham threads recently and realised the date was moved to earlier in the year recently and hadn't considered this before....... So many things to think about.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

angel66 wrote:I heard from my tutor test will be :
VR
non-vr
and English and Maths

Please don't take this as a 100 % but heard this twice from 2 different people ???
Good luck anyway !
Thank you Angel. What I mean is what % will each element take. For English what will be the format, and the time ? will there be an extended writing element, if so, how will they go about marking it ? this cannot be computer marked and is subjective.

Will the change affect how long we will have to wait for results ? for other aspects of english are we talking English comprehension, cloze, synonyms etc etc etc.

For math, similar questions, what exactly do they mean ? will it still be multiple choice.

I think we now deserve much clearer guidance than just "some sort of CEM" and afterall, they still haven't formally announced the change !

Very frustrating that they are keeping us in the dark.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

chumba wrote:Me too! Do you think the dates will be the roughly the same for the test and results? DD1 due to take the test next year and I've felt quite stressed just reading the posts about this year, comparing scores, ranks, dates and times of e-mails/posts. I quite like the sound of the new test if it is more than just VR, but looking forward to some actual information which is more than rumour! Started reading the Birmingham threads recently and realised the date was moved to earlier in the year recently and hadn't considered this before....... So many things to think about.
OMG hadn't even thought about the date changing, better hold of booking any hols !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Sunshine 11 wrote:
chumba wrote:Me too! Do you think the dates will be the roughly the same for the test and results? DD1 due to take the test next year and I've felt quite stressed just reading the posts about this year, comparing scores, ranks, dates and times of e-mails/posts. I quite like the sound of the new test if it is more than just VR, but looking forward to some actual information which is more than rumour! Started reading the Birmingham threads recently and realised the date was moved to earlier in the year recently and hadn't considered this before....... So many things to think about.
OMG hadn't even thought about the date changing, better hold of booking any hols !
Personally I'd prefer it at the end of yr 5. At least the children can then enjoy the summer.
chumba

Post by chumba »

Yes, I would be happy with earlier too, although my DD not 10 until August, so would be better called a 10+ for us :lol: We are all in the same boat, I just want to know to stop me imagining things!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

When our DS1 took the test 2 years ago up until Easter we just made sure he was happy with tables, reading lots and his mental maths was sound. This is probably what we'll do with my DS2 in year 5 now, regardless of the test content. For us it is getting in the habit of timed work that has always been key, rather than content.