Really bad mark only 92 in Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkus-Pinkus

Really bad mark only 92 in Bucks

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

My DD much to everyones shock did not pass, her score was really low only 92. She is according to her teacher and head a 1:1 student. The school are really shocked that she did not pass. I am not sure what to do. DD is saying that she will refuse to go to school if she cant go to the GS. I cant afford an Indie. She is predicted at least 5a's for all subjects if not level 6's although her school apparently are not keen on submitting children for level 6 because it makes the less able children inadequate when one or two take an additional paper. The only extenuating circumstances are that she was very nervous, because it means so much to her to go to the GS. She was also very scared of going to the central location to take the exam, she is a very immature youngest in year 10 year old. She didn't want to be left at the Boys GS. She came out of the exam in tears, saying she didn't have enough time to go to the loo in between tests and was so desperate that she couldn't concentrate. Her school are happy to support a review or an appeal, and agree that the GS is the right place for her. However I am not sure there is any point with such a low score. I/we just don't understand what on earth has gone wrong. It just doesn't make sense. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Really bad mark only 92

Post by Etienne »

It's not going to be easy, but with a low score it all depends on the strength of the case you can put together. The further away from the qualifying score, the stronger the case will need to be.

First of all, have you followed all the links here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The totality of the academic evidence is important.
Do you have most of the evidence listed here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In particular I would be interested to know of any alternative reasoning tests (I don't mean practice papers, I mean something like CATs). This is because the 11+ is not the same sort of test as SATs.

If the recommendation for academic potential was a 1, how many of the 1's at the school actually qualified? Will the headteacher tell you?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does your daughter work quickly and accurately, or does she prefer to work carefully and conscientiously?

Does your primary school perform particularly well at SATs?
Etienne
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

The answer is yes to all except the CAT scores - she is at the local primary school and they don't do that.

The school is one of the top performing ones in Oxfordshire, they have very good SAT results. My DD is on the top table for maths English and science. The school are very supportive of an appeal. In fact it was the deputy head (who is my DD's teacher that suggested it this morning, she was so shocked that DD didn't pass. She said perhaps DD may have marked the answers down wrongly on the answer sheet in some sections or something. She normally gets 100% even fiercely timed for NVR but only got a score of 11 for this. Her English is outstanding, it is rare for schools to consider levels sixes for this but they are thinking that they should submit her. Her maths is her week point but she is working at least a year ahead of the Curriculum. She can however struggle with speed in maths, in some circumstances. Her Optional SATs show she is on track for at least 5a's in all subjects.

How can I get a CAT score done?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Because it's an out of county non-partner school (sorry - I should have picked that up from your first post), then unfortunately there won't be any official statistics showing how reliable the head's recommendations have been. This would have been very useful information for a review or appeal panel.
How can I get a CAT score done?
You haven't read all the Q&As yet? :?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only way to check reasoning ability would be to get an EP report. I'm afraid it would be expensive, and of course it might not deliver the results you want (ideally percentiles in the upper 90s). It could, however, be available in time for an appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add:
She said perhaps DD may have marked the answers down wrongly on the answer sheet in some sections or something.
Had you thought of requesting an analysis? (You would need to check with Admissions first whether it would pick up this sort of problem.)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p397480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tinkus-Pinkus

Re: Really bad mark only 92 in Bucks

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Thank you for all your information. I would not be able to afford a EP report.

I have applied for an appeal form from BCC and will appeal assuming that success is unlikely, but I have to try.

I am reasonably laid back about where my DD goes to school. My problem is her determination that she does not want to go to the local comp (which is a very good one with outstanding OFSTED reports. I am really worried that her disappointment and the fact that she really doesn't want to go to the comp may turn her off school altogether. One of the reasons that we moved to this area was to get her into the comp, I hadn't considered the GS, because I abhor the system. She discovered that some of her older friends at the Drama class she goes to, go to AHS and asked if we could look at it which we did (big mistake), this was a year ago, and she has had her heart set on it ever since, despite all my arguments for the comp. She says she is like the other girls at AHS and not like most of the ones at the comp. She found the lessons that we looked at at AHS engaging and interesting. The lessons we looked at, at the comp she said were too easy and she had done them 3 years ago. She is a talented flautist and the comp does not have an orchestra, which is a big turn off for her, she also saw a couple of teachers being very unreasonably shouty at some children there (not good) I have tried to balance her views by introducing her to some nice girls that are doing well at the comp. But the lady is not for turning. Would any of this help in an appeal?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh I feel for you and your dd. I wish you luck with your appeal.. Etienne will definitely give you the best advice.

Did she watch top set lessons and see top set work at the comp? What do their results look like in detail - are you willing to put the comp name in here?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would any of this help in an appeal?
Reasons for wanting a place would only count if the child is first deemed qualified and the school is oversubscribed.
I have applied for an appeal form from BCC
Not sure the LA would send out an appeal form before 3rd March since that is the earliest date you could lodge an appeal. (They might send a review form instead.)
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkus-Pinkus wrote: I have tried to balance her views by introducing her to some nice girls that are doing well at the comp. But the lady is not for turning.
I apologise if I am speaking out of turn here, but looking from the outside..

You have a little girl who is as I understand it only just 10. You moved to a particular area partly to access a particular school. Your daughter saw another school in a different county which she preferred and for whatever reason she did not pass the exam which would allow her to access that school. She now says she won't go anywhere else, and so you are trying to appeal to get her into her preferred school.

I am so sorry if this sounds harsh, but is there not something to be said for telling her that she did her best, it isn't possible, and now she will go to the school you always intended that she would go to, with her friends? I have been through this so I do know what disappointment feels like, but occasionally our children have to face unpalatable truths and as their parents it is often kinder to help them to deal with them than to make them feel we will do everything in our power to give them what they want.

(Runs for cover - but it is meant kindly).
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

Amber wrote: [I have been through this so I do know what disappointment feels like, but occasionally our children have to face unpalatable truths and as their parents it is often kinder to help them to deal with them than to make them feel we will do everything in our power to give them what they want.]

Like, like, like! DS2 wants to get into SS and he will get his results tomorrow. If he is disappointed, I will remember this.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

T-P, I agree with Amber's sentiments. Two sentences in your post stood out:
Tinkus-Pinkus wrote:I am reasonably laid back about where my DD goes to school.
Tinkus-Pinkus wrote:One of the reasons that we moved to this area was to get her into the comp, I hadn't considered the GS, because I abhor the system.
Your daughter is ten (not yet a lady, although as a father of a 13 year old "lady" I know what you mean,) and you come across as a sensible parent who has thought carefully about her daughter's academic future. You know best and the quotes above show that you considered the schooling circumstances carefully. As far as viewing AHS is concerned, what's done is done and can a 9-year old really have her heart set on something she knows so little about and could she realistically (at the age of 9) have judged the comprehensive's lessons as representative of potentially seven years' education at that school, let alone judge that the work she saw was work she did at the age of 6?! There are other avenues for talented musicians if the school does not have an orchestra. Aylesbury Music Centre draws children from a wide radius of schools to its various orchestras (although it comes with the health warning of being on AHS premises...) and I'm sure there must be equivalents in Oxfordshire.

My advice would be that if you intend to appeal, do not tell your daughter. Spend your time and energy ensuring she views the transition to her next school as a positive step and that she gets the most out of the rest of year 6. It would be a great shame if her obvious ability and potential went unfulfilled in this important year because she is dwelling upon what she considers to be failure. If an appeal is successful, you have the luxury of choice. If unsuccessful, your daughter is spared further disappointment.

Go back to those two quotes of yours. You abhor the system and if you really want to be, you are now free of it! There are many, many parents on here that do not have the positive alternative of an Outstanding comprehensive school where their child has not met the qualifying score so you have already done your daughter a great service by ensuring that she has an Outstanding option irrespective of the selection result.